A Bicentenial restoration/rescue - '76 RD400

Today, headlight bucket painted, mufflers cleaned and polished. Baffles pulled, cleaned, and new wrap installed. Downpipes polished. Kickstand installed. I guess the wiring harness needs to be brought in for refurb next.

Started on the wiring this afternoon. Right control sorted. Had to completely disassemble and re-solder all three of the connections to the turn signal switch - they broke off! I've not experienced such bad cold solder joints in a Japanese product. Anyway, that item is ready except for the bullets presently soaking in vinegar. Bad weather forecast for tomorrow, so might get more done after church.

Could be more of vibrations over time that loosened the solder joints. I have seen similar on our stamping presses.
Pierre

Wheels, wiring, rear clip all mounted. Andm finally the lump is mounted in the frame and chain run. Still a long way to go, but encouraging. The block of wood is there to keep things out of the airbox until I make a cover for it.
6d34bd001733c60bb78569e8871d6bf3.jpg

Brakes filled and bled. Wiring sorted. Carbs need to go on next, but I need to go through them once again to make sure they are set up right.

Discovered that Yamaha swapped the load and auxiliary connections (for Pilot on many, but Yamaha uses it for input to the signal cancel unit). The flasher on this bike was seriously water damaged. So, I swapped the connections in the socket for brown/white and yellow/green wires. Installed a new 3 pin electronic flasher from NAPA, and signals work normally now. Will have to wait 4-5 months to see if they auto-cancel.

Back