A Brace of Pistols for Old Guys

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
These are a couple of my pistols that I have made more practical for an Old(er) Guy who doesn't have the eyes he had 20 years ago. :)

The one on the left is a STI 2011 I recently built with both a 40S&W and 10mm chambering. The one on the right is a .45 ACP Kimber that I've been tweaking on for almost 20 years. Just recently made the custom mag funnel and hand fitted a new set of grips for it.

Both have RMR tactical red dot sights mounted on Trijicon co-witness glow-in-the-dark fixed sights. If I miss, it won't be the pistol's fault. :D
My New Desk.jpg

Id like to see more pictures of your work if you are willing to share with us! Id also like to hear more about the 40s&w and 10mm chambering you are speaking of. What needs to be swapped out in order switch calibers? I assume that you swap out barrels and Maybe the magazine as well but I don't like to assume things and you have me very interested in how things work for you.
Thanks

Nice, what kind of a holster do you use?

I like the Blackhawk CQC holsters because they are lightweight and have positive retention via a lock you release with your trigger finger. I have one for my Kimber, my Glock 20, and my Springfield XDS 40. Unfortunately, they don't make a holster for the STI with the full length dust cover. So I'm checking into a leather mid-ride pancake OWB. Haven't heard back yet from the owner.

Id like to see more pictures of your work if you are willing to share with us! Id also like to hear more about the 40s&w and 10mm chambering you are speaking of. What needs to be swapped out in order switch calibers? I assume that you swap out barrels and Maybe the magazine as well but I don't like to assume things and you have me very interested in how things work for you.
Thanks

There is a barrel on the left side of the picture, near the mouse. That is the 10mm barrel. It was a threaded bull-barrel with a four-port compensator on it that I made (there's a thread here somewhere regarding the comp build). But I decided I want to carry the 10mm also, but having a big Safariland tactical holster strapped to your thigh and walking around in public while legal here, probably wouldn't endear me to some of the less conservative folks at the local Walmart. ;)

So I'm in the process of turning the barrel down, shortening it, and fitting a new custom barrel bushing to the slide. On the STI, to go back and forth between a 40 and 10mm only requires a barrel (and bushing if not a bull barrel) change. The magazines interchange just fine. Actually the magazine is sold as both a 40 and 10mm mag.

Back