A brass shoulder plane I made

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a brass and rosewood shoulder plane I made. It is about 1 1/4" wide,and about 9"long. My knee is killing me,so I don't feel like going to the shop and getting it down to measure it right now.

I call it the "Nessie" model. It is quite comfortable to hold,with the curves.

I fabricated it from sheet brass. Mostly hand work except for sawing it out. It is held together with special screws I turned out. They were screwed into counterbored recesses,and filed off flush. The ramp the blade sets on is from a block of brass.

The throat is adjustable. You loosen the screw that is set into the top of the plane,and the front sole can be moved back and forth,or the front sole can be removed for taking the 01 blade out.

One of the best parts of the toolmaking,or musical instrument making I do is designing the pieces. However,being the toolmaker in a museum(Colonial Williamsburg) I was copying 18th.C. pieces most of the time. This one is not a copy,but has the flavor of 19th.C. work.

Notice how the beveled edge gets larger where the curves are highest,and is smaller where the curves dip.

The iron has a "sneck" or notch on one side for drawing the blade back with taps from a little brass hammer. The blade is hammer adjusted.

_DSC0777.jpg _DSC0776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it is not steam punk!!:) Wouldn't it sort of have to be blackish,grimy and generally dirty and coarse to be steam punk?

I googled steam punk. Looks like a bunch of goobled together junk made up by those who have no real idea about things mechanical,and very little knowledge of art.

Thank you,Whyemier. I must admit, the term steam punk,or any other kind of punk,is not a term I care for!

George,

Even though I hate working with wood, I really do appreciate when an artisan such as yourself makes such a wonderful thing of beauty.

I hope it gives you many years of faithful use, and many thanks for showing.

John

I don't tend to use the term "steam punk" myself. When I see something along those lines I usually refer to it as "Jules Verne". ;)

-Ron

Victorian covers it nicely,if anyone MUST label it. The work is all about artistic design more than anything,and it generally has a 19th.C. bent to it.

That's beautiful ! I wouldn't want to use it-might scratch it!

That is truely a thing of beauty.
Anyone with the patience and skill level to turn out a simple piece with such detail and perfection is envied by myself and many others

Back