A drill press is not an arbor press. I know that now.

EricB

Registered
Registered
I have an extra draw bar for my Sherline WW collets that I wanted to shorten and use with another fixture. It's a steel tube, threaded .275-40 on one end with an aluminum knob pressed onto the other.
draw bar.jpg

I need to shorten the tube for it to work, but then I would have to tap the new end. The tap is expensive so I figured I could just re-position the knob and then trim the tube to length, keeping the orignal threaded end.

So I have a 1980s Black and Decker 8" drill press. I found it at Goddwill several years ago. I probably paid too much for it but it's been a good tool and I've never had any problems with it. Until now...

I knew that to move the knob I would need a press, and the tool says Drill "Press" so my problem was solved right? I chucked the drawbar, lowered the quill until the knob touched the table and then applied a bit of force.

The table snapped right off.
break.jpg

Now it's panic time. Where will I ever find a replacement table for my obsolete drill press? Maybe I can use the parts for something else.

After some web searching it appears my old drill press must be a good design as several companies currently sell nearly identical machines. I located a used table from a WEN drill press that's an exact fit. Life is good again!
new table.jpg

I still haven't shortened the draw bar.

Eric

Well SNAP! Oh shoot! I'm glad you found a replacement.

You are not the first, I watched the youtuber Meanwhile in the Garage destroy his milling machine using it as a press.
He repaired it, but as he was doing it, I was like NOOOOO.. then bang.

A bit of force.

Ponder that for a minute.

actually I disagree, watch some of his other builds. He is pretty talented with what equip he has.
I think of him more as a fabricator..

I figured that if anything broke it would have been the handle for the quill. I didn't think I could put that much hand pressure on it. The machine just sits on a light dolly and can easily tilt over.

9400.jpg

I always thought the table was kind of defective anyway. The mounting boss had a lot of draft and the holding bolt only made good contact on the top side. Could have been part of the reason it failed.
boss 1.jpgboss 2.jpg
boss 3.jpg

On the replacement table the boss has a rectangular profile, is about twice the thickness, and the bolt makes solid contact all around.

I've learned my lesson.

Eric

actually I disagree, watch some of his other builds. He is pretty talented with what equip he has.
I think of him more as a fabricator..
1:00-1:45 puts him in the goober category.

Rigging **** like that in those tight quarters will get you hurt.

To make matters worse, at 11:18 he goes right back to rigging this mess the same way that failed earlier.

I have to say that jacking the head down against the PEX running across the ceiling @12:30 was an inventive touch.:eek:

ETA: Finally watched this to the end. I think I had shut it off a couple times as I couldn't take it anymore. In the end in my opinion in his endeavor to strengthen that poor machine, hw actually further weakened it by drilling and tapping holes into the casting to make his "Fix" work.

Theres too many of these "Makers" showing people how do do things poorly or just plain wrong.

I thought he was going to die in this short, but luckily he was only glamorizing him bumping his elbow.

Never work under a suspended load. Regardless if how good your knot tying skills are......

Last edited:
1:00-1:45 puts him in the goober category.

Rigging **** like that in those tight quarters will get you hurt.

To make matters worse, at 11:18 he goes right back to rigging this mess the same way that failed earlier.

I have to say that jacking the head down against the PEX running across the ceiling @12:30 was an inventive touch.:eek:
And people look at me as if I just beamed down from a flying saucer when I say I can't stand watching youtubers fawning over themselves in a mirror or shooting bottle rockets out of their butts. This video clinches it as a total waste of time. It's not cute, it's sad.

And people look at me as if I just beamed down from a flying saucer when I say I can't stand watching youtubers fawning over themselves in a mirror or shooting bottle rockets out of their butts. This video clinches it as a total waste of time. It's not cute, it's sad.
As far as entertainment, I like watching people risk their lives and giving people bad ideas as much as the next guy.

Wait, no I dont......

This whole build is a hot mess from the super sketchy frame stretch and welding to the lowered front end that results from this.

I cant believe its even ridable and the portion of the video where hes at the show? you can tell by the way people are talking they think its fubar.

4:19 for the frame stretch and welding.

I can only figure the people fawning over his bike in the comments have never turned a wrench.

Sooooo, the bit at 36:25 is interesting.

Im thinking, man, hes got those chuck jaws out there, maybe one tooth left on the scroll.....

Then he gets a new pot, tries again, and looses jaw #3.

This dude has some ability, but he's going to die if he doesn't acquire some real world skill.

Last edited:
Back