A general Atlas lathe decision

fireguyfire

Registered
Registered
I’m looking at 2 Atlas lathes for purchase, and I’m hoping you guys and gals on here that know way more about these lathes can help me out.
Both lathes can be had for the same price.

Lathe #1 is a 1944 H54 in running but beat up condition and has a few things that go with it; i would need to track down parts for it to make it right.

Lathe #2 is an earlier 936 lathe that is in excellent working order and comes with a ton of nice accessories for it.

My plan will be to fully restore either lathe and put it back as close to factory as I can make it.

I don’t think the difference in bed length is a deal breaker for me.
Looking for opinions on which lathe a guy should but; I am really torn on the nicer earlier lathe, and the rougher later style with the longer bed!

for the same price, i would tend to go with a lathe that has more accessories and in better shape.
i refurbished a broken 1953 TH42 and spent a ton of money and a year doing it.
i could have spent the same and gotten a better lathe and spent my time machining instead of putting humpty dumpty together again

Accessories and missing parts are costly. It would be easy to spend $500 or more on accessories and missing parts.

But the primary consideration, in my mind, is how worn are the basic lathes? Are the beds worn? Are the spindle bearings OK? Is the head aligned? Are the Morse tapers damaged? Do they run smoothly or vibrate? Those sorts of things matter a lot. It is not worth restoring a worn out lathe.

I think I would pass on both, unless the price is very low. Then if nothing else, you could part them out and make some cash toward something better. Much like Ulma Doc above, I got a 12" atlas as a pile of parts and rehabed it . I learned a lot through the process, but would have been money, and time ahead to get something in better shape. Mike

The 936 was checked out by a machinist and he was very impressed with its mechanical condition, gear lash, etc.
The H54 is more worn for sure.

I agree with all the above posts, unless you want to go into old machine restoration. Getting a sway back lathe bed ground is quite expensive. Few hobbyists are capable of bringing one back to factory specs by scraping. There are a lot of moving parts on a lathe and everyone of them wears out. If you decide to buy one, make it the one you think is in better condition and has more accessories. I have rarely turned long parts and you can use a steady as a work-around. The head stock bore will be more of an issue than the length of the bed.

The other interesting thing is the 936 seller is the grandson of the original owner so it is a 1 owner lathe since the late 30’s.

I would buy the most complete and not the fixer as parts will be an expense above your initial cost. At least you are near Calgary, better chance for complete lathes or parts. Unlike others who are in the machinery deserts of the country. Just watch the pricing, as some think their stuff has to be the last one in the world or in mint condition!
Pierre

Personally I prefer the Atlas models with roller bearing headstocks. A plain bearing model can be tough to bring back to factory specs if you don't have the right equipment and some experience. A roller bearing headstock, provided the bearings are in good shape, may only require a quick adjustment of the preload to meet runout specs. Much less hassle.
-Mark

Back