A general hello from a complete newcomer

Welcome to the gang Rich!!!! There are a ton of books available for clock and watch making available and the workshop series of books are great short courses in specific concepts. One bite size piece at a time. I hope to own every one eventually. I think a mill would be a good starting place for you since it can be used to make gears and the plates that they mount on and through. But I am a complete foreigner to that kind of work so I could be way wrong too. I would however suggest that you get started as soon as possible and start out with some easy projects such as making tooling and holders to get your feet wet and achieve some positive results as soon as possible. Then I would gradually add different levels of complexity until you reach Master clockmaker skill. There are a bunch of our members who are learning watchmaking and repair so you will be in excellent company and have a lot of current resources to use if you do get into a bind. So don't be a stranger, and get started as soon as you can, and above all have some fun with it along the way.

Bob

Back