A good source for belts

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good day folks.

I have a number of shop machines that have belts that are 20-40 years old and pretty worn. I have a jointer that came with belts that really stink when the jointer runs for any length of time. What is a good online source of quality belts? What's the trick to buying the correct belts since the old ones are probably stretched and worn out? I don't have manuals for some of the equipment.

Carlisle belts by Timken (or maybe the other way around) are really good. I'll see if I can remember who I ordered them from
I remembered: Associated carries the Carlisle super blue ribbon and gold ribbon v-belts. The cog belts are great with small pulleys, less friction and heat www.associatedparts.com
-Mark
www.carlislebelts.com/product/belts

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Continental belts, but really any of the reputable manufacturers should be fine. They're just belts.
If you don't have any markings on the old belts, you should be able to adjust the machine to the tightest setting and
measure.

Thanks. Seems like some belts are better than others with lower amount of black dust production and lower odor. Granted the one on my Shop Fox jointer is probably made from recycled windshield seals or something but I'm looking to do this change-out just once on all my machines and be done with it.

I changed out the belt on my Jet DP a while back simply because the old one was stiff as a board: came from some Chinese
Rope factory! (Really). I think I gained about a quarter HP back when I put on a nice new flexible Continental belt. Smoother too.
Gates would be another choice.

I'm a fan of the Fenner style link belts. They're super easy to install. Supposedly should only be run in one direction, but I run my lathe in reverse sometimes and have no issues. They do stretch over the first week of use, so it may be necessary to remove a link or two down the road.

1599585245427.png

EDIT: Another huge plus of these is they can be assembled in place rather than needing access to one end of each shaft. This isn't a big deal for drill presses, but it can be for lathes and other equipment.

I've had a link belt on my table saw for the last 25 years and it shows no sign of wearing out. I think they're more expensive than
standard belts though.

I have never tried a link belt. May have to give one a try.

I typically order them from McMaster-Carr. They don't list the brand but every one that I have received has been Gates.

Back