A interesting bit of history ...

I bet those shoes are great at capturing lots of hot chips and funnelling them right to her feet.
It's that way with my work boots when I get lazy and don't tie them.
-brino
Just think, those shoes are in style now. :eek 2:

I'm almost willing to call it a 6" P & W vertical shaper, too. I've been around both over the year, never run one, don't want to either.

.......and you wouldn't look as "inspirational" as @FOMOGO put it! :grin big:
-brino

My mother-in-law, who was born in England worked at a lathe making parts for Wellington bombers during the war. It's hard to imagine
since she was anything but mechanically minded, but I imagine lots of young British women did that sort work then. When I asked her
about it, she had no idea what kind of parts she was making.

In dads shop, we had a Reed Pretinece No. 5 Jig mill they called it. Still had the old war finish on it. I don't know how many of these mills were built, they used to be very popular in oil tool manufacturing plants back in the 1970's. Anyway, fast forward to about 5-6 years ago. I ran across one of the WWII documentary films on youtube of a transmission plant over in the UK. I couldn't believe my eyes, there was our old mill! There was a young women running the mill too. Apron coated solid in oil and such from running that machine. (I can relate with that) At least I think it was. The reason I notice it, it had the machine number paint stenciled on the side of the mill in the same place as on the old mill we had did. If the buyer that bought it from us 15 years ago still has it, it's probably one of the last one's around today.

As much as I love machines, I was mesmerized by her natural beauty and found myself sizing her up before appreciating the iron.:grin:
What a cool lady, RIP Naomi Parker Fraley.

Back