A mill and what needed tooling and accessories .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In this case , the Mill is a BP series one . I'm starting this for a buddy to answer some questions as to what are the most needed compliments to a machine . Chime in . I'll be loading pictures when time allows but feel free to add input or questions .

Stuff I very commonly use from my setup:

Indicator holders. Chucking, mag base and spindle mount
5" Kurt clone
Set of parallels .5 to 1.5"
Precision grinding vise which fits inside the Kurt jaws.
Various V blocks
123 blocks
Step clamp set
Drill chuck
Boring head
Insert face mill (sub for fly cutter)
ER32 collet chuck with full range of collets
Various R8 collets (only one I really use is 3/4)
Rotary table
Spotting drills
HSSCo drills 1-13mm
HSS roughing end mills 8-12mm
Carbide end mills 4-12mm
Spiral flute taps 4-12mm
Edge finder 5mm radius (which matches full turn of hand wheel)
Mister system, mostly used as chip clearing air blast.

Extended range:

Right angle head
Dividing head
Adjustable angle plate
Adjustable parallels
Collet blocks, square and hex. I have ER32, but 5C is the norm.

Honestly, there's not really much I find myself wanting now.

Edited to include suggestions below.

Last edited:
Lo-Fis list looks pretty complete to me, only thing I'd add is a fly cutter.

That's a point well made. If I hadn't got the face mill with the machine I'd probably be running a fly cutter.

I've taken T nuts and suchlike as given too. Any of the carbide tools are optional, of course, but I'm impatient and like that they're happy running dry. Which reminds me...:

Mister system needs adding to the list! I only tend to use it as air blast to clear the chips, which is super important with carbide. I tend to just brush on some coolant when running the HSS roughers. I like HSS roughers as they're far more tolerant when hogging, even if they are slower.

I've updated the original list for future clarity.

I have a few annular cutters with through arbor coolant.

Ah, that's an omission! I actually have ER32 collet blocks and I forgot 123 blocks. Saved me buying a set of 5C just for collet blocks.

Much depends on what you will be making on the mill. At the extreme end of least investment possible: decent vice (6" Kurt clone?) Set of parallels, set of two V blocks to hold round work in the vice. Small assortment of HSS end mills (2 flute for aluminum, 4 flute for steel.) A way to tram the vice (Dial test indicator & holder for the spindle?) 6" caliper. An edge finder, decent R8 drill chuck, set of R8 collets. Set of US name brand drills (115pc.) Some HSS taps for your most likely to be used sizes (don't get the carbon steel ones unless you are really good at getting broken taps out!) Tapping fluid, WD40 for aluminum to prevent chip welding. Safety glasses, acid brushes, chip brushes, spindle wrench if it didn't come with one. Set of strap clamps that fit the Tee slots. There are more things to spend a few thousand dollars on, get them as needed.

OK and thanks to all . I'm making up a list of what I have and what could go with a mill if needed . This would not be up to me ,but the stuff would be available . I'm positive some of this would not be needed though . He's well into machining at this point .

Back