A Mill Bit ID please

Boojie

Registered
Registered
I’m an experienced EE but a noob machinist. These were in a toolbox bonanza I purchased recently. I am wondering what they are for. Are they countersinks or are they for mill ing a radius? Thank you to my more experienced colleagues here.

fd1c5ed73d629d05a0bd7f02636fb29c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they are corner rounding or chamfer bits.

They are radius cutters for putting a round over on edges. They come with all different size radiuses ground in them. Nice tools to have for putting finishing touches on stuff.

Carrying this on a bit more, if I had a square piece and ran it along all edges, how do I get a radius around the end corners as opposed to just the top edges of the piece?

If you mean the vertical side corners of the square you'd have to flip the part. If you mean the corners after doing all four edges you'd have to put on a rotary table and offset? Don't know what you mean clearly.

I don’t have a CNC (yet) but I have a need to take 1/4” aluminum plate, machine features contained in the four sides, and then radius the outside top edges and as I go from one side to the next side 90 degrees to the first continue the radius edges. So the radius on the top edge looks continuous all around the part....if that makes sense....

Yep, makes sense. The problem with corner rounding on a large plate is that the edge of the work must be aligned with the axis of movement, either in X or Y, so the tool cuts the profile as you move the edge into it. Small pieces are no problem but big plates are hard to do. If you are really good at coordinating your hands, it is possible to turn the corner on a work piece by manipulating the X and Y handwheels. I'm nowhere near good enough to do that but I can kick ass with a good file in my hands. If you work carefully and slowly, use a sharp file and take your time then you can match the profile on the edges. Or you can use a sanding stick if you aren't comfortable with a file. I use an Optivisor so I can see well and work carefully. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Yes, those tools will put the radius all around the part, including the corners. But to get a full roundover on the corner you'll need to use a file to finish it out.

Back