A new dog in my future? What have I done?

jgedde

Active User
Registered
My daughter's elementary school scores kids on a 1 through 4 scale. 3 being satisfactory, 4 being exceptional. From what I understand, very few kids get fours. This is supposed to "give them something to strive for". She has been getting straight threes since she started school.

She's a huge animal lover, especially horses and dogs. She's been asking for another dog (in addition to our "dumb as a stump", but sweet and very well behaved Beagle) for almost a year. In a moment of lapse of judgment, whilst in realization that reading is vitally important, I told her if she scored a 4 in reading on her report card, I'd get her a Lab or a Golden Retriever. I said to myself "she'll never get a four - they just don't give 'em out".

Today the report card came home... Not one, not two, but three fours: A four in reading, a four in gym, and a four in science.

What have I done! I'm very proud of her and she worked hard to get those marks. I guess I have to put my money where my mouth is and get another dog... Did I put my foot in my mouth or what?

John

Well Dad
Looks like you made a deal, and best stick to it, she did. :biggrin:
You should be happy she is doing so well. Good for her :thumbzup:
Im guessing next time you make a deal with the little ones, you will think it over before hand, :banghead:

Its all good, you be attached to the new dog in short order, and it will become part of the family, Thats what you,ve done :biggrin:

With dog food prices at a all time high-------think small dog----:thinking:

Looks like youre shopping for a Golden. My Golden, Hally is a sweetheart. Good all around dog and great squirell hunter in her younger days. Get busy Dad and get that girl the dog you promised. All of my pack (all 6 of em) including the golden came from the pound or through adoption from bad homes and every one turned out to be great and loyal dogs.
Bob

All of my pack (all 6 of em) including the golden came from the pound or through adoption from bad homes and every one turned out to be great and loyal dogs.

Same for ours

............... In a moment of lapse of judgment, whilst in realization that reading is vitally important, I told her if she scored a 4 in reading on her report card, I'd get her a Lab or a Golden Retriever. I said to myself "she'll never get a four - they just don't give 'em out".

Today the report card came home... Not one, not two, but three fours: A four in reading, a four in gym, and a four in science.

What have I done! I'm very proud of her and she worked hard to get those marks. I guess I have to put my money where my mouth is and get another dog... Did I put my foot in my mouth or what?

John

John,
It's a good thing you did not offer to get her another dog if she got a 4 in math. She might have learned how to figure that if one 4 is good for 1 dog then three 4's would = 3 dogs.:thinking:

Enjoy the two dogs.

Benny

Well I tried some good ole fasioned horse trading and went so far as to suggest a trip to Disney... She almost bit, then decided, nope Disney is a week, the dog is friend for a "long time."

To make a long story short, we were in the right place at the right time and found a 12 week old female Golden Retriever - AKC with lineage from a breeder. Check out the newest member of our family... So far she's working out just fine, a bit of chewing, but I expect that. No "growing pains" or shyness what so ever. Total 180 from my Beagle. She hid behind a door for two days.

IMG_1401.JPGIMG_1405.JPGIMG_1407.JPG

Cheers,
John

IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1401.JPG

Last edited:
John,
It's a good thing you did not offer to get her another dog if she got a 4 in math. She might have learned how to figure that if one 4 is good for 1 dog then three 4's would = 3 dogs.:thinking:

Enjoy the two dogs.

Benny

Good point! I'm surprized she didn't get it in math. That's her favorite subject.

John

Golden pups are "land sharks" but will grow out of it soon. My wife didn't think we would survive our pup's younger days.
They look like they'll be best friends.

Back