A New Home for my Karl Benz Engine

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After some prodding and pushing I have decided to try to make the Motorwagon for my Benz engine. It won't be a replica but of my own design and keeping as much as possible to the original. There have been several examples of this carriage made over the years including a run of 75 that Mercedes Benz built for the anniversary. They all are just a little bit different so in order to use the most authentic version I found this photo on line. That is Mr Benz himself and the motorwagon as he built it.
60926-classic-museum-geburt-automobil-04-660x602-660x602.jpg

For me the wheels look to be the most foreboding part of the build so I will start there.
This is one of the rear wheel rims that measures about 10 3/4" in diameter.
IMG_2109.JPG

The rear wheels will have 36 spokes each and the front wheel will have 24. I know the original had over twice that number of spokes but any more is way above my pay rate.
This is how I equally spaced the spoke holes for the rear wheels.

IMG_2115.JPG

I used a desk top Harbor Freight 3 in 1 sheer, brake, roller, machine to make the rims so I am at a disadvantage all ready. They are not exactly round but I hope the spokes will push things into place when the wheel is assembled. The rims are made from 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum strips.

Here are the three rims with the spoke holes.
IMG_2119.JPG
This is going to be a big model.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Here is the link to the engine build.

I dont think you will have any problems getting them round. I found it very easy on all the bicycle wheels I've laced up that were so out of round and buckled that it looked impossible. The wider the hub the easier it is.
The most difficult part is getting a tyre if the rim is a non standard size.
I have seen hosepipe used in this instance.
(just some ideas)

I was thinking of a half round 3/4" wide solid rubber strip that I could cut to length and glue onto the rim.
Without being able to have it in your hand to feel the hardness and flexibility of the rubber it will be hard to make a choice. The price for a piece of rubber like this seems to be out of sight also.

Ray

I was thinking of a half round 3/4" wide solid rubber strip that I could cut to length and glue onto the rim.
Without being able to have it in your hand to feel the hardness and flexibility of the rubber it will be hard to make a choice. The price for a piece of rubber like this seems to be out of sight also.

Ray
Looking at the picture it doesn’t look like there’s much rubber. What about a strip cut out of horse mat and riveted or glued on?

I found a 3/4" round solid rubber rod of 70 hardness that I am hoping to cut down the middle for the tires. Cut to length and glued to the rims they will only be around 0.300 thick after the cut and should look about right.

It has just been too hot to work in the shop during the day so I got up about 4am this morning and went out.
This is the setup of drilling the 24 holes for the front wheel spokes.
IMG_2116.JPG

Drilling the center hub for the front wheel.
IMG_2120.JPG

With the spokes installed.
IMG_2123.JPG

All cleaned up and ready for the tire.
IMG_2125.JPG
This wheel was assembled with just an interference fit of the spokes and then tapped around into place. It is not exactly round but I think it will be close enough. If not I have another idea in the works.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Did another early morning shop session today and made some progress.

This is one of the center hubs for the rear wheels.
IMG_2127.JPG

Two hubs, outer rim, and some of the spokes.
IMG_2130.JPG

Drilling 36 spoke holes with 18 evenly spaced holes on one end and 18 offset holes in the other end.
IMG_2132.JPG

I started threading some of the spokes 6 X32 on one end. I used the lathe spindle under power and the tail post to keep things aligned but each spoke takes about 3 minutes to complete. There are 72 spokes that need to be threaded so that is over 3 1/2 hours leaning over the lathe and that doesn't count for the time to cut them and cleanup the ends.
There is a lot of work and time in making spoked wheels.

Thanks for looking
Ray

A LOT of work. Just hoggin out the hubs looks like a challenge. Did you use a L and R turning tool on the hub center? When you do that, how do you prevent a line from showing?

Yes Robert I used L & R hand tools and was very careful when coming to the middle of the hub on the final pass. It wasn't necessary to hit a specific diameter on this part and that made it easier.
In a similar situation when the diameter is critical I will do the final pass with a square ground cutoff tool and move it slowly from side to side to get to the finished diameter.

Ray

I am just amazed at how fast you are making progress... everything looking great!

Back