A "Newbie's" first ever machined creation.

dougroundup

Registered
Registered
1397357720595.jpg1397357718189.jpgMy first machined creations after immediately getting the Rutland model F2639 GH Tawainese Lathe wired up and working correctly! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!
i was in despair and overwhelmed when the control box was smashed and motor wiring ripped out during the transport home after just acquiring it as my first lathe.
I was very lucky that the motor is still heathy after previous six months of wiring attempts result only in angry 60 cyle moans of grief and plumes of white smoke released from the motor windings!
This lathe was next to impossible to find docs for and I had to fifure it out through other taiwan lathe brands. Immediately i was spinning stock and flipping chips as I experimented with several cutters and the quickchange toolhead. I broke two cutters until i figured out that ya gotta pay attention to keeping the cutter centered to the axis of the workpiece and also turning in the right direction. This aluminum was very "gooey" but increasing the spindle spead seemed to actually smooth my cuts and produced a smoother surface. It seems that some cutter cut from one direction and others the other direction of the spindle rotation? What is the best way to part or cut your stock from the chuck? I ended up cutting or parting it with a sawzaw. Also howvisvthe best way to keep from marring the surface in the jaws of the chuck? How can you best sharpen a cutter to make a smooth flat cut?

1397357720595.jpg 1397357718189.jpg

Nice work man. Before I bought my machines I had to buy alot of parts that look bout like your part. Heim joint a-arm bungs. Alum, likes to gum up. The wrong type even more so. Softer means faster which you learned. As far as parting you can use a parting tool though I tend to use a saw.

You should go to the MrPete vid on you tube and learn how to hand grind your bits. He even sells a jumbo sized work aid to understand the angles and their uses so that the tool will cut nearly anything you choose to machine. I have found his vids to be very helpful and they are after all free which is even more the better. Once you understand how the bit angles work together you can resharpen a bit many many times and continue to use it for quite literally decades. You will lose it before you wear it out... Once you get it sharpened and cutting well a diamond hone will maintain the edges easily unless you break or ship the edge off on an interrupted cut. Welcome to the addiction and we hope that you never stop asking questions because that is what we are all here for. Pass on the knowledge whenever you can!!!

Bob

Well done. The videos they speak of will get you further but a word of caution. Sometimes Mr. Pete bypasses safety. Other than that they will serve you well.

"Billy G"

Thank you everybody for reading and commenting to my post.
I am excited to have finally have my own RUNNING lathe !
To actually start using it to make things,,,,, OH YEAH!
For years it was just a magical and mystical thing that other people or certain elite and expert enthusists would have. These gurus and wizzards would produce magic in their shops that was beyond the capabilities of us mere mortals.
This has been evident in a multitude of various and unique hobbies and leisurely pursuits that I have had over the years. Seemingly the machinist guy was the one who always had the most trickest of custom gear.
At one point I found myself pondering what was an amazing coincidence that so many different "communities" or hobbies would have such similiar common denominator, until i realized that maybe the common denominator was actually me.
I think that I have found it, and want to be a part of it. No longer does it have to be a mystery and you guys have another similar trait and denominator with myself. The willingness to freely share, promote, help and give back to the community what was given to you.
Excellent website, It is very nice to feel welcomed and confident to ask a stupid question and not be flamed too badly!
As for issue of safety,,, please feel free to always point out or flame away if necessary!
BillGruby, I always appreciate when someone can recognize and illustrate a hazzard or situation that has the potential for unnecessary danger. It easy to be complacent and even easier for the uninitiated to learn poor habits and procedures. As I am such a green novice, thank you for helping me to realize that I should be vigilant in my pursuit for knowledge!
Man I am like a kid in a candy store, my mind is unsure of what to produce next!

Doug,

Another resource that might help to answer a number of questions (even ones you don't have yet) is a publication by South Bend Lathes titled "How to Run a lathe". While it is written by SB most of the information in it is universal. Here's a link to a .pdf of an older version of the publication - http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Doug,

Another resource that might help to answer a number of questions (even ones you don't have yet) is a publication by South Bend Lathes titled "How to Run a lathe". While it is written by SB most of the information in it is universal. Here's a link to a .pdf of an older version of the publication - http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Thanks for the PDF link! I watched Mr Pete
tool video part 2 and he immediatly makes mention of this as a classic must have for ones own library. I was just thinking that it must be available online and just noticed your reply... almost spooky how things just sorta all line up in a perfect row..... amazing!
Thanks

I'll give you a few safety tips I see alot in school. 1) stay in front of the chuck. Reach from the tail stock to the chuck. Your shirt get snagged or knuckle hits that spinning chuck you will learn this in a bad way. 2) If using sand paper hold each end in a different hand with just the tips of your finger. Never wrap it around a finger. 3) wear safety glasses. 4) Never take your hand off the key unless it's put up where ever you keep it. Few guys in school only have teeth cause they followed rule number 1. 5) dont get distracted while cutting

very nice and congratulations, but what the hell is it for?

Back