A Trio of 618's

Thank you for your service. It has definitely improved as I have a couple students who are stationed overseas right now.

I noticed there must be a slight difference in length. I have a drawbar and collet set that fits the older one, but appears to be a bit too long for the newer.

Yes, the spindle is shorter on the new one. They changed the style of the compound, and the tail stock, but they are interchangeable.

I’ve got the Craftsman version (same as your red one). It’s my first metal lathe and I’ve been learning on it. It’s a good little machine. It was a pretty straight forward rebuild as well. Check out “deansphotographica.com”. He’s a retired camera repair man, but has the same lathe and has posted a lot of helpful information and projects on the website. I found it really helpful. His work is really impressive as well.

seems like you’ve got two complete lathes there. Planning to have two set up in your shop?

I currently have four of these Craftsman lathes. The one in the picture in the middle I recently overhauled and turned into a good running lathe for a new machinist. Here is the picture of how it turned out.

The second picture is a different one I just picked up last week. I like getting them fixed up and playing with them. The red one is probably headed to a total restore and that will be one that I keep.

Attachments

• 20200808_124908.jpg
    20200808_124908.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200808_203739.jpg
    20200808_203739.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Back