A Tube o' schmoo?

MERLIncMan

Registered
Registered
In the Tool & Die shop years ago, there was a tube of wax-like stuff that we smeared on the blade for to make more gooder.

I am getting a new saw soon, but I never did get the name of the schmoo. Blade-wax? Tube-o-schmoo? Sawglide? Cutwax? Sawyer's Love?

No idea.

Idea?

problem is there are plenty of choices. any wax will work.
but a simple search for stick wax for saw blades will give you what you want.

Formax is one. I use it, works fine.

537DBBC5-2133-4212-95D8-B61427C81641.png

Formax is one. I use it, works fine.

View attachment 379064
Yeah!

Truth is, now I'm feeling sheepish for how easy it was to type "saw wax" into Amazon...

But, this post did make me think of the names "Sawglide" and "Sawyer's Love" - and now "Sawyer's Slick Stick"

That last one is totally mine for when I sell some candles with a label!

Thanks for the help :)

If you go to the Formax site you’ll likely find they make several different compositions from soft to harder. I can’t say what I’ve got as I don’t think there ever was a choice at our saw shop. The one they carried was the one everyone bought unless there was a certain call for industry. That may still be the way for most suppliers, but just so you’re aware .

-frank

Johnsons's floor wax works fine, though it has little if any natural wax in it anymore...and no cool name

I was on a job years ago where they were using a eucalyptus scented depilatory wax on their saw blades. Worked fantastic and smelled real nice too!

I’ve used Castrol stick wax for tapping, and it was excellent.

I'll add another to the mix. I occasionally use Cut Ease by AGS.

I bought it to use on aluminum before I added a blade brush to my Startrite bandsaw. I still use it when cutting large flat or round stock, but the blade brush keeps everything clean enough when cutting anything under 3". It doesn't take much. I bought 2 sticks about 8 years ago and have barely used a couple inches of the first one. I use the saw on an almost daily basis and 60% of the material I've cut in the last few years is aluminum

Back