A Twelve Million Mile Battery. What?!!!

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Lately, I have been bombarded with an ad for a 12 million mile EV battery.
1626271966324.png
Supposedly, the battery will enable a Tesla to go 9,000 miles on a single charge and the battery can be charged in 8 minutes. I did a bit of research on the subject. A Tesla model S with a 100 kwh battery has a maximum range of 400 miles.. This amounts to an energy requirement of .25 kwh/mile. So to go 9,000 mile on a single charge would require a 2,250 kwh battery. Now, 8 minutes is .1333 hours so the rate at which the battery was being recharged would be 2,250/.1333 or 16,875 kw. Charging from a 240 source, this amounts to a charge rate of 70,313 amps. What?!! Somehow, I don't think that my wiring is up to the task.

Oh, and the guy claims that if we just invest on the ground floor in this technology, we can make up to a 20,300% profit on our investment. Now, checking the credentials of the salesman, he actually was/is a successful financial advisor and the company that makes the magic powder that makes this super battery possible does exist and has indeed raised millions. The technology he describes is real although with nowhere near the performance that he describes. More like a 6% improvement.

After reading through the hype to get to the bottom line, the guy is actually selling subscriptions to his monthly financial advisory newsletter. The guy works for a company called Banyan Hill Publishing. The investment performance that he describes is much lower, like more than 1,000 fold at best.

As is often said, caveat emptor.

Youtube is filled with nonsense like that- perpetual motion and all the rest of it

12 millions miles? It could become a family heirloom, passed down from generation to generation. Of course, it would be my luck if it became obsolete technology by the time I traveled 6 million miles. It would be much more believeable if they just called it a lifetime battery and be done with it. Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Tom

If they had a battery that would last 12 Million miles, it would be recycled at 200,000 miles as the vehicle itself would be worthless. Or if the car was able to be viable for 12 Million miles, the car industry would sell X amount and then fold up shop as everyone would have a car that lasts for ever.

Don't think so. They are too fond of "Planned Obsolescence"

I hate these people that make these grand claims, promise to tell you how, run you through a 30 minute sales pitch and then try to sell you a membership, book or such. Motley Fool does this all the time. I have joined only to find out that they don't even deliver the basics.

Anyone remember the claims of we would all be running our cars on H2O some time back.

Back