A very helpful little helper.

GK1918

Active User
Registered
As I have written before, I get into a lot of threading. I wont go into dims. This job calls for 10 internal left and right
threads, lets say 3"x2" coupling. So the ends of both threads terminate in the center. The problem is that I can't
see no more. I have posted this somewhere on some sites, but I'll run this again because I did this job, the job
came out perfectly, and this is now a permanent part of this lathe. Audible carriage stop. This is the 2nd i made
(first for my big lathe that if a crash it will take the shop out). I use to use a dial ind. for that and cant see it.
The expense was a 9Vt batt. This is for a SB 9A . I first made a clamp out of wood for the bed way, and drilled it
for a 1/4" rod. I solderd speaker wire to a spring mounted to this rod which will slide. Then an old smoke detector
I distroyed just for the speaker and batt connector. dont throw away the detector housing. you may have to figure
out the speaker some are different this has three terminals. In my crude drawing one speaker term. goes to the
lathe bed ground, one goes to the bat +or - dont matter the third goes to the batt and the spring. Most used smoke
dectectors faill cause circuit board went dead. Then shine up a spot on the carriage where the spring will contact.
Then I put the batt & speaker back in its case and just put it somewhere. Although crude this thing works every
time perfectly even blindfolded. Now move the carriage to the end of thread-slide rod/spring till it beeps tighten
clamp now I am threading in toward chuck with hand on half nut > beep slam off half nut. Perfect next left thread
move carriage to beep > begin the thread. Now for just left threading I will clamp this on the right of the carriage,
only because once I was talking NO PAY attention and crashed into the tail stock. Get this years ago an old
timer stressed me to just snug the tumbles when treading now I know why>>when I crashed it simply popped the
tumbler out of mesh no damage. Lets see if this crude drawing gets here. Again all came from my junk draw
maybe a spring from a penlite even a ball point pen, and if you have some type of carriage stop then use a
wooden dowl glue the spring on it. Sam sombody said "to invent is a pile of junk"

carriage alarm stop.jpg

Great idea. Now I have something new to look for at the salvage places.

Back