A Way To Store Files

ML_Woy

Active User
Registered
P1090043.JPG About a month ago I sent all of my files off to the Boggs Tool Company to have them sharpened. I was extremely happy with the quality of work they performed and after paying the bill I decided I had better come up with a way to properly store the files. Not having enough drawer space, or wall space, I built this tree to house the files.

View attachment 107571 About a month ago I sent all of my files off to the Boggs Tool Company to have them sharpened. I was extremely happy with the quality of work they performed and after paying the bill I decided I had better come up with a way to properly store the files. Not having enough drawer space, or wall space, I built this tree to house the files.

I didn't know you could have files sharpened. Is it cheaper than a new file?

Yes it is, an example is a new horse rasp costs about $15, Boggs sharpens them for $5.00. Go to their web site: http://www.boggstool.com/ and learn all about their services. The real decision as to whether you save money is how far you are and what the shipping costs are. Good company great service.

It sure beats my file box. Nice handles too.

What method does Boggs Tool use for sharpening them?

Bob

That I do not know, I do know that he has high standards and if a file does not have enough teeth left, he marks it with red paint and sends it back cleaned. Go to their web site http://www.boggstool.com/ and he might say how they sharpen them.

That I do not know, I do know that he has high standards and if a file does not have enough teeth left, he marks it with red paint and sends it back cleaned. Go to their web site http://www.boggstool.com/ and he might say how they sharpen them.
Thanks ML_Way, Their website states that they use abrasive blasting from the backside of the tooth. Their prices seem to run abut a third to a quarter of new file prices.

I have used muriatic acid (HCl) to clean and etch the teeth with some success. It removes material from both sides of the tooth, though.

I also wonder if an electrolytic process would work. I might give it a try.

Bob

Just took a look at the Boggs site, truly fascinating! I've never heard of this process and have a whole drawer full of dullish files... hmmm...
They say that the process works best on coarser files, and often results in better than new filing quality.... hmmm.....
Does anybody else have any experience with these guys?
I might just bunch up a few them and give it a try. Thanks for info.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Chuck, one concern that I have is that you may not have uniformity in tooth height with this or any other resharpening process. For finish filing, I prefer a new file to a resharpened for that reason.

Bob

I like the idea, and have some old files I may have to send, I think for general work, it would be good, but like Bob, I would have to see it before using for finish work.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. Give 'em a try and see how it flies.....er files.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Back