A YouTube channel for machinists who love to tinker with cars/motorcycles etc

Ran a boring bar for years back in the 70's we normally cut to within 5 thou then stone honed to final. .120 over was pretty extreme as most of the small motors we did would be .030" over on the first overhaul. Unless the motor was blown up.

It was all about the surface. needed a good cross hatch to hold oil and assist in setting the rings.

As one who used to work flat rate most mechanics look for shortcuts, not how it's done in the book. There's no room in flat rate for looking in a manual. I'd been in the field 5yrs when I decided to go back to school and get certificates to prove I was worth more than they were trying to give me. My engine machining instructor decided to take us through one of the two major engine rebuilders in Fresno. This was the "good" place.

As we were going around with the shop foreman we went into the cubby hole where the guy who was reconditioning rods. He was doing 4 rods at a time (!) and was checking them real quick and one of them he pulled apart with an air impact and walked by the cap grinder over to the bench grinder and took a couple of swipes on the rod and cap! I thought my instructor was going to have a stroke, he couldn't even speak. The foremen looked him and said "you get a feel for it after a while". We all walked away stunned. That whole place was on flat rate so it was how many units you could shove out the door.
Which place?

We worked one back in the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ran a boring bar for years back in the 70's we normally cut to within 5 thou then stone honed to final. .120 over was pretty extreme as most of the small motors we did would be .030" over on the first overhaul. Unless the motor was blown up.

It was all about the surface. needed a good cross hatch to hold oil and assist in setting the rings.

That sounds like a good process. It's hard to get the full pic from a quick 2 min demonstration in the video but I think the .120 over is prob because they're going for oversized pistons and increasing the cubic in of that motor.

In any case, as much time as I've spent building engines and tinkering with cars and motorcycles, the "machine shop" work was always something of a mystery to me. I'd send the heads off for decking/resurfacing/valve-jobs or the blocks to resleeve etc but I didn't know what all that entailed at the "machine shop" but thanks to folks like John and his time and effort to video tape and post on YT an avg enthusiast like me can see that I could do some of the work myself and even if not I understand what some of this work involves.

Which place?

We worked one back in the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm not sure its good form to mention a company that is still around. Turns out both are still around.

I'd venture to say that every one of us has more and better tools than Thomas edison Had. But how many of us can make a light bulb.

I'd venture to say that every one of us has more and better tools than Thomas edison Had. But how many of us can make a light bulb.
To be Honest. Edison did not actually build the bulb. He had employees that did that.

Back