A1S Value

7, I think it is the same, yes. And there's a current offering from the Green Bear that's roughly analogous as well...and I think there's actually a host of these things out there, all of which are either Clausing-clones, or contract builds/labels of that machine. I assume Clausing built it first, but I have no verification of that fact.

Also, thank you for that link; I don't recall seeing that thread. I'll check it out as soon as I get back from looking at a completely different $3500 of machines. That seems to be my number, lately.

About the same price , and Grizzly is in your state

That is just a typical bench mill. The small kne mill that @Dave Bonzo is searching for is so much more of a machine.

But wait...it gets even better.

The seller shot me a text this evening because he's re-listed the Husky; he's decided that he does, if fact, want to sell it... because he wants to buy the Deckel that's for sale locally. There's just one small problem with that plan, though: the guy with the Deckel won't come off of his $6K asking price...and the Husky seller won't offer any more than $5K. So he's back to listing the A1S at - wait for it - $3500, and he isn't interested in coming off of the price by a single cent; likewise, he won't conscience the idea of upping his offer to meet the Deckel seller in the middle.

You can't make this stuff up...

That there is what you call a stalemate!

People who say they won't negotiate are full of it IMHO.

Show up with Benjamins and call their bluff.

The Deckel is way more than twice the machine, I'd sell my dad's workbench he built his plane on to have space for one....

John

That there is what you call a stalemate!

It's divine irony, by my reckoning; someone that's inflexible on price getting shut down by someone else that's inflexible on price... that's incredible.

People who say they won't negotiate are full of it IMHO.

Show up with Benjamins and call their bluff.

The Deckel is way more than twice the machine, I'd sell my dad's workbench he built his plane on to have space for one....

The Deckel seller is just as inflexible, unfortunately; I got almost the exact same tone from them in the response to the text I sent. It's basically someone saying "you'll either pay my price or you won't have it" and to be honest, I don't like doing business with that mentality. I'm okay with someone setting a high price, but it's all in how it's done and how you treat others...and both of these owners are probably going to get stuck with unsold equipment for a long time. I mean, I know that neither of the mills in question are terribly plentiful...but by they're still sitting for sale, and a lot of other stuff that's priced more reasonably is moving.

And yeah, that Deckel is one hell of a machine, and I could make space for it and buy it...but it's just not quite the right machine for me. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling in the couple of texts I had with the seller.

Sellers often get cranky from people trying to negotiate remotely. I simply refuse to talk discounts on the phone or electronically because some buyers will try to get you down first, then go further when they come to pick up the item.

If it's in good shape the Deckel isn't priced too far from reasonable from what I've seen. Of course if it's not the right machine it doesn't matter, but I've always found people to be easier to deal with face to face. At least you get to see the machine in question rather than relying on descriptions and pictures.

John

That's interesting; it's never occurred to me to attempt to nitpick a price once it's been agreed upon. I've definitely found some objectionable issues with items once I've gotten in front of them - a leg vise that was described as "great condition" ended up being literally broken, and I didn't find out until I'd driven two hours to pick it up - but that's why I try to get into a ballpark price range before going to see something; if there's not going to be a chance of getting together on the price, there's not a lot of reason to waste the time and fuel.

And, I guess I've never seen the inquiries I've made as negotiation; I just ask someone if they have any room to move on the price, or I ask what their best price is. Most of the time, someone is either firm on the price, or they state something that's somewhat lower. If it's too high, I just say "Okay, understood; thank you!" and move on. Sometimes I get a text/email back asking for my side of the offer; most of the time I don't hear anything back. That's cool, either way...but in all cases, I've just tried to make the process as expedient as possible.

Regarding the Deckel... here's my objection: it's a better, nicer, rarer machine than I need. It's kind of like you said: you'd sell your dad's workbench to get one...but I wouldn't. To me, it's a nice machine that's slightly too big and that costs more than I want to put into a home shop mill at this point. I need something that's on the small-to-midsize end of the scale, and that's basic and solid, and that's not excessively collectible; beyond that, I'm really flexible on what I get. I like the 85XX or A1S size, but I could go any direction beyond that...and I think that's where I differ from the Husky seller: it's very important and valuable to him, but to me - now - it's a tool that's the right size, but no more.

On that topic: if anyone has further suggestions on alternate options, I'd still like to hear them. I've already altered my opinions on lathes after getting lots of input on that front...so I'm willing to do that with mills as well.

Back