About to give up on this follow rest - am I not understanding it, or is it not too useful?

Usually you set the tool to cut to the right of the jaws, if only just barely, one thing I note is that they commonly do not work well with QCTPs because of the large offset of the post, sometimes for threading long acme screws I remove the QCTP and use the rocker tool post with old fashioned tool holders. For my cute little 9" Monarch I made a follow rest that locates the jaws over the center of the cross slide.
Yes, the follow rest is definitely not designed to work with a QCTP! To make it work one needs large stick outs. Oh well, learned more about follow rests and their use.

I would not bother with a follow rest, with that short of a piece. Or if you really need the support, start with a longer piece, then cut down afterwards

The follower rest is more commonly used with much longer pieces to prevent deflection of the mid-portion creating a larger diameter there. Think about the total length capacity of your lathe. Imagine if you had a 30" long rod in there.
Robert

Single point threading leaves little burrs at the top of the thread (being cut) and this burr causes the follow rest to push the rod being threaded towards the tool (probably causing chatter, wrong DoC,...)

My guess is that the first pass (scratch pass) ended up looking good and the rest did not.
What you have to do is to run a file over the top of the threads before each pass to make this problem "go away".

But the real solution is to use a die to cut threads as long as the threads are of std size.

Would it be possible to use a dead center with a thinner tip? This would also be less expensive. If you don't thread to the end of the rod, you don't have to go there with the tool. Maybe just leave a short section turned to minor diameter or measure the thread with wires?

I hate the follow rest, in my humble opinion its a real pain to use.
When I have to do long threads I single point to start then finish with the die in a holder.
Yes, a die holder is a simple and very helpful project.
This was my very simple one but there are way better versions out there.
Once it cuts as far as possible before the centre shaft gets in the way I slide the tail stock back and hand hold it.
If the single point threaded section is cut deep enough it just follows easily and gives a good finish.
(hopefully this stops at the correct message 1937)
You can get live centres with a long nose

Sounds like you have come to understand the follower rest perfectly. They're a pain in the a$$, but sometimes you have to use them. This is not that case. Savarin had the right answer, single point to start the thread, then use a die to finish. Spend the time saved making a good die holder.

Well, I didn't give up. Used the follow rest to single point cut the thread, with what I had. I did quite a few passes, then followed it up with a die. To make it easier to hand thread, I used the hand wheel I made previously to crank the spindle.
IMG_20200507_221924.jpg
3-1/2" long 12L14 rod 1/4" diameter. 1/4" x 20 thread 1/4" long, spt. 1/4" x 28 thread 1.5" long. Nut with integral spacer, made from hex 12L14 stock, threaded to 1/4" x 28.

Now I get to put away that infernal follow rest. Hope not to have to use it again for a while! It was good to be able to use it though.

About the die holder, it sure would have made things easier. Going to add that to my project list.

I have the same follower for my 7x16 bench lathe, and as with most of my experiences with that lathe it was an exercise in frustration. One thing that did help was replacing the fingers with roller bearing fingers from LMS - you can get replacements, or just buy the bearings and add them yourself.

There are some interesting toolpost-mounted followers out there (Frank Ford made one that has inspired many people). I found this the other day in my morning coffee perusal of ebay machinist tool lots:
lathe_threading_tool_integral_follower.jpg
Appears to be a threading tool (the disk is the thread form, you just grind it back and rotate it when it gets dull) with a built-in follower. I think we can hazard a guess here that it was shop-made ;)

Damn, thats got my brain working again.
The follower could be a small bearing so it doesnt scrape the thread crests.
I like it.

Back