About to Turn On Nardini MS-1440S Lathe for First Time - What Did I Miss?

chip_slinger

Active User
Registered
Hi all,

I have a Nardini MS-1440S lathe that has been a long time sitting in my shop and I have never turned it on or run it. It was on its back for about a year after it fell while being delivered. Then it has been sitting in my shop upright for about another year waiting for me to fix it.

I recently finished repairing all of the electronics that were damaged in the control cabinet in the back and feel pretty confident that they are all working correctly.

Looking at the mechanical side, I don't think it was damaged in the fall. I'm going to fill the headstock with oil and lube up the carriage. Besides that, anything I am missing or should check before turning her on and running the spindle?

There was a good bit of oil that has seeped out when it was brought back upright, but I'm assuming that is from seeping out when it was on its back and isn't from a real leak or issue.

Anything else to check? Thanks!

IMG_3639.JPG

Turn everything over manually before starting it to make sure things are free to turn. But you probably knew that. Have a plan to shut it down immediately and practice that until it is second nature, then have it clearly in your mind as the default if you don't like what is happening. Have a plan, work the plan.

What could possibly go wrong? :eek: Should be :cool: Try to avoid :blowup:

Turn it on and stand back.

We got a brand new Trak mill a few months ago, 23" Y, 60" X and 20" Z, ran the first job on a Saturday. Programmed a bolt pattern 16 X 38" with about 20 1" holes, job all set up and programmed. none of the 4 other machinists watching wanted to press the START button the first time, it worked as planned without drama however.

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of moving everything manually before turning it on. I may also half fill the headstock and wait overnight to ensure my theory that it isn't leaking is sound.

We want smooth running machines here. If it don't work your instructed to crate it up and ship to NJ ill take care of the problem child . Good luck with her but remember I'll take it when it don't work. Yupp

Well, she runs! Sorta...

Spindle is fully operational, no issues. Runs very smooth. Question: sight glass showing oil level in headstock goes to empty when the spindle is on and the oil pump is pumping. That's normal, right? Read the sightglass when spindle is off, right?

Now onto the issues. Leadscrew doesn't turn. I can rotate it by hand it so it's not bound, and the shear pins appear intact. The automatic feed is turning and allowing for auto feeds. Just not the leadscrew. Any ideas?

No standards as far as the oil level. Most lathes are filled so the level is half-full in the sight glass and the level drops when the lathe runs. Best to check your manual.

There is usually a knob for the leadscrew with three positions - forward/normal, neutral, and reverse. The knob is usually in the middle of the control panel. Try moving the knob and the leadscrew should engage. It remains in neutral unless you are cutting threads.

No standards as far as the oil level. Most lathes are filled so the level is half-full in the sight glass and the level drops when the lathe runs. Best to check your manual.

There is usually a knob for the leadscrew with three positions - forward/normal, neutral, and reverse. The knob is usually in the middle of the control panel. Try moving the knob and the leadscrew should engage. It remains in neutral unless you are cutting threads.

The shifter for auto feed and threading seems to be one and the same on this lathe, unless I am wrong and somehow missing something.

The feed gear train should be seen to turn as you rotate the spindle.
If that all turns your back to the feed lever positions as Mike said.

Back