Accidentaly bought an automatic boring head

I kind of doubt that this is a facing head. I think it is just a standard boring head that you adjust with that small graduated button on the side. Is there a brand name anywhere on the tool?

Jacques
Unfortunatly there is no brand name or maker mark anywhere. It does show a lot of quality, really glad that I didn't go for the import boring head.
Now the only thing to do is make some boring bar sleeves and put it to use!

Aaron,
I would like to see a picture of it if you feel like it. Just curious to see if it is the same size as I have. If it is, we could swap, I don't have a mill with an R8 spindle anymore. Or I could sell you my R8 arbor simply. But I think that this would be more risky than swapping. the whole assemblies. They could look the same but not really be the same.
Jacques

Jacques
It's the same as the one in this post except for the shank.

What do you mean by " I could sell you my R8 arbor"? Do you mean the shank that threads in to the head?
Thanks
Aaron

That is definately a automatic facing and boring head. It looks like a enco. I have the manual for it I’ll post in alittle bit.

The knurled ring towards the top of the unit has a hex screw with a line off to one side. Either put that line towards the top or towards the bottom to engage or disengage the action. Be sure the head locking mechanism which is the center hex out of the three hex's on the one side is NOT engaged when using the autofeed. Turn the machine ON and when ready to advance the head you hold the knurled ring. You will hear the ratcheting action inside the head the dial will move where you usually advance a standard head and you will see it advance. The instructions above explain the process

I don't know if this will help, but Keith Fenner is doing a repair and is using one. Check this out at 24 minutes into the video where he describes how to start the boring.

Back