Accurate/precise R8 keyless chuck?

Mini mill is probably less likely to spins drills in a keyless chuck. I have gone back and forth with keyless chucks vs. keyed, bottom line is some keyed chucks are better than others. I have used the higher end Precision Mathews integral r8 chuck and it works very well, also had a glacern, Vertex, LLambrich and Jacobs keyed chuck. My first choice is the LLambrich JK-130 or JK-160 in a keyless chuck, seems to work smoothly, always hold the drills securely and never had a problem with it over tightening. It also come with a wrench for tightening or loosening as needed, TIR is around 0.001". Vertex is als nice about the same as the PM keyless chuck. Also a few other brands that have nickle plated precision keyless chucks like SHar's which are very good.

If you are holding endmills, then there are ER-32 collet systems, the chuck has an integral R8 arbor, you need a decent set of collets. I do not use them for drilling.

So am I better off buying er collets for each specific drill size? Is that possible or should I just get the keyless chuck?

HI and welcome to the HM. I probably have 80 different flavors of chucks. And use just one on my BP. It’s a Jacobs key chuck. And not a super either. Have been using it for decades. It’s dead on and holds stuff good after ALL THESE YEARS. That’s why it’s my go to chuck. I’m not saying you need to buy 80 chucks to find that one. And I’m not saying the keyless are the cat’s meow. I hope you find a chuck that works for you. Not sure about buying a collet set-up just to do drilling? And I would not power tap with a keyless chuck. Good Luck…Dave

HI and welcome to the HM. I probably have 80 different flavors of chucks. And use just one on my BP. It’s a Jacobs key chuck. And not a super either. Have been using it for decades. It’s dead on and holds stuff good after ALL THESE YEARS. That’s why it’s my go to chuck. I’m not saying you need to buy 80 chucks to find that one. And I’m not saying the keyless are the cat’s meow. I hope you find a chuck that works for you. Not sure about buying a collet set-up just to do drilling? And I would not power tap with a keyless chuck. Good Luck…Dave
Plan to one day invest in a used tapmatic and your probably right I should just go with the keyless chuck to get started. I still have a whole ton of tools I need to buy to make this mill useful. Would love to buy a dro

Plan to one day invest in a used tapmatic and your probably right I should just go with the keyless chuck to get started. I still have a whole ton of tools I need to buy to make this mill useful. Would love to buy a dro
Yes, I have several of them but don’t have the need to use them. I think they are excellent for large/many thread hole jobs. I only do one or two, so I power tap most everything.
Sorry, I was not the one selling you on the keyless chuck:).

Yes, I have several of them but don’t have the need to use them. I think they are excellent for large/many thread hole jobs. I only do one or two, so I power tap most everything.
Sorry, I was not the one selling you on the keyless chuck:).
7 of them?! Hook me up with one! :) id use it daily for my knifemaking! :) im willing to get Any chuck as long as it has minimal run out keyed or not

Good quality keyless chucks are expensive if you want new,$335-to $550 but if you check out ebay ,you could get them much cheaper.
Glacern sells R8-DC625: 1/8"-5/8" for $169.99 plus shipping ~$20 all USD, if you decide to go with ER32 you'll have a more versatile tool holding system (as mentioned in other posts) but it's going to cost you the chuck/r8 arbor, the collets in imperial and in metric in order to cover almost all drill bit shanks you commonly use
https://www.glacern.com/drill_chucks
https://www.glacern.com/er_collet_chucks

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...on/1334413993?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There were some good reviews of a Precision Matthews keyless chuck in the PM Forum. I don't own one - just recall seeing the thread.

Back