Acquired 8" Bison 3 Jaw...keep?

RHayes

Registered
Registered
This chuck from new was adapted to a wood lathe (Wadkin RS) so the back plate is threaded 1-3/8"-6. It has seen little use and appears excellent condition. My thought was to purchase a back plate and use it on my new G4003G lathe as it is probably better quality than stock, but would it be worth the effort? Maybe just trade or sell and use any proceeds for more useful tooling for the lathe or my Bridgeport?

My vote, i think it would be well worth the effort. a second chuck will be handy.

My lathe is down, currently I cane bore holes for parts I make because I have a chuck to clamp on to the mill table and use a boring bar... You never know when an extra chuck will come in handy. I'd keep it even if all I could use it for was holding work on the mill.

I was concerned that the chuck would take up more space on the G4003G and extend further from the headstock contributing to possibly increased runout. I guess I wouldn't know until it was properly mounted.

Using it on the mill would open up all kinds of possibilities I hadn't considered. A quick search shows Bison makes a backing plate specifically for mounting this chuck on a mill table but I didn't catch the price. A 1/2" plate and some work might work just fine and cost very little. (OK now I wan't a rotary table too)

I have a Bison chuck that I use on the mill. I use it two ways. Either sitting in my Kurt Vice (for quick jobs), or clamped to the table. I thought about a mill table back plate from Bison early on. At the time it was just a square flat plate with mounting screw holes. Don't remember the price, but it didn't seem worth it. Now I see their table mounts are cast and machined. More like the bases for rotary vices, and $230 to $380. Think I'll stay with what I do. I don't think the vise or clamp causes any distortion for milling/drilling the end round stock.

Ken

You can make your own from a piece aluminum tooling plate. Depending on the chuck size, I have a piece cut out of a larger plate here that is about 9" wide and about 11" long. The plate I have is about 1-1/2" thick. Aluminum tooling plate has been surfaced ground to reasonable flat. Generally good for fixtures. I prefer using this over a piece of steel plate because of the lighter weight of aluminum. I haven't mounted my 8" chuck to the plate yet. Another one of them "round to it" projects.

Back