Acute Tool Sharpening System - Full Kit

Had a couple of issues doing the next steps...

I had a really difficult time making the 10mm x 6mm thick spacers... so much so that had to buy some stock.... Could not nail the length... 3rd time is the charm as they say... But there is no way that the bolts are correct... between the thickness of the bars, spacers and base... 12mm are not long enough... I ordered M4 x 16mm bolts from McMaster and guess what? Too thin... they just slide through... Also the 4mm carbide reamer I got from them... looks to be of great quality, but again, does not nail the 4mm hole needed. I ended up having to go with a drill...

So ordered M4 bolts from another place. Hoping those actually work.

IMG_8327.jpeg

Not everything is a loss... one of the failed spacers will become a spacer for the handle... to take up the amount that the bolt protrudes from the top... Will save me time from having to cut that bolt...

Also, I did not think through the proper holding for cutting the piece that rides on the side of the table. I still need to shave a little bit...

IMG_8323.jpeg

Forgot that I had the fix plate that I purchased from a fellow forum member (Dayton CNC Products)... I could have used that... good thing I still can fix the depth of that cut... So I will use that when finishing that part.

All for now...

I do not think that M4 x 12mm Bolts are not long enough. - Leaves you 3mm of thread for bolting it into the upper plate. I think this is enough, they are only holding the 2 arms of the "Grinding Arm"-assembly. Seems that this are custom screws with only half of the normal head-heigt.
I never had any troubles with the clamping assembly coming loose...

Hope that there are no further hick-ups...

Good to know. I was worried it was not enough threads in there…

And yes, these bolts are not easy to find…Only found one place that had them in just a few sizes- here

Last edited:
A standard M4 nut has 3.2 mm height. So 3 mm is enough. I heard that thread connections do not get stronger when the engaged thread is longer than the diameter of the bolt.
Maybe somebody could confirm this rule?

Back