Adam Savage setting up a PM728 mill

Sorry about that, was called away by our company ceo for a plant tour.
Pierre

I would be very interested in seeing it in some future videos of his... he was excited how slow it can go, but isn't that where it has the least torque available being its not a gear head mill...

I use the BP mill for tapping naturally at slow speeds. No idea how much power this mill has at 100 rpm or so.
Pierre

Couldn't he sell the original "Hans Solo encased in carbonite" prop hanging on his wall and buy a Haas or three?

Couldn't he sell the original "Hans Solo encased in carbonite" prop hanging on his wall and buy a Haas or three?
He is probably going for a "typical hobbyist" video vibe or he didn't want it taking too much space.

In general I'm quite positive about such endeavours. Anything that popularises engineering /machining is a good thing. But for some reason I found him repeatedly calling calipers "micrometers" very annoying. I wanted to shout at the screen "man, how can you spend so much time building stuff and not know what is a micrometer and what is a caliper"!

Also, when he built the "giant" flywheel powered toy car and it run pretty badly in the end. Why not just do a calculation of power stored in that flywheel before building it? He would know immediately he is building it way too heavy to work well... He could've make it into a video segment and show how he redesigns the chassis to be much lighter etc.

To his credit, he is not trying to come across as a know it all, in the video I saw he mentioned few times he is learning proper machining. So perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. On the other hand, he is famous, lots of people are going to see his videos, potentially lots of young and impressionable people. A bar is set higher for a generally liked famous person making youtube videos than a random dude in his garage.

So in my opinion it would be good if he had his videos reviewed by someone who really knows what he's/she's doing in machining/engineering to at least correct errors like that caliper stuff in subtitles,or give him tips about projects in advance.

Back