Adapter plate

Wino1442

Registered
Registered
Hi all....I just received a backing plate for a new chuck and upon inspecting the backing plate I noticed some "defects" in the casting. I've attached a few pics of the defect for your viewing pleasure. My question is, should this defect cause me any concern? I'm a little concerned that there may be more voids in the casting near the one I can see that might cause some real problems when I start machining this to fit the chuck. The void in the bore alongside the keyway is somewhat in line withe the small divot on the face of the backing plate. I'm debating whether or not I should send it back and get a new one.
Any comments/ opinions you all might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 51
Apple does it again, can't see 'em. Repost those pics as JPGs?

Not pretty, but it shouldn't pose a problem. Speculation on hidden defects is pointless. If it was pricey, you can return it and hope for better in the exchange. If it was a deal, keep it. Sometimes complaining will get a partial refund. Fill the void with JB Weld if it makes you feel better.

I recently bought a lot of 5 AXA toolholders. All had a defect in the tool slot, rendering them unusable as received. Emailed the vendor (with pics) and immediately received a full refund. Then I fixed them.

No question, send it back. That is unacceptable quality control, beyond the range of "cosmetic" defect.

If you spent some decent money on it, send it back. If it's an import from questionable origins, that's the quality you should expect. If I bought a cheap backing plate and this is how it looked, I wouldn't be surprised, and I would likely just use it. Occlusions in castings are practically unavoidable, but a decent foundry would inspect for visible voids like this and scrap it to be melted and cast again. But that means the good ones will cost more, thus, my previous statement. JMHO, FWIW.

There are no markings or anything on the box/paperwork that indicates where it was cast, at least not that I can see. I got it from CME Tools if that helps.

That’s typical quality for CME. The postage to return it is probably more than the part.

Back