Adapting an Atlas milling attachment to a Logan lathe

rickw55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I recently acquired a Logan Model 200 lathe to replace an Atlas/Craftsman 12 X 26 lathe. I kept most of the accessories when I sold the Atlas. The headstock taper and threads were the same on both lathes, so most accessories would interchange.
One of the accessories I kept was an Atlas milling attachment.However, it won't directly interchange. On the Atlas lathe, the compound is removed, and the milling attachment fits over the dovetail on the cross-slide.It is locked to the cross-slide with two angled pins. The Logan lathe doesn't have the same type dovetail on the cross-slide, so I'm going to have to make some sort of adapter for it.
Has anyone here adapted a Logan lathe to fit an Atlas milling attachment? I have a couple of ideas, but I'd like to hear how someone else has done it, so I don't re-invent the wheel.
Thanks for any advice.
Rick W

I have a Palmgren 150 milling attachment. You could sell your Atlas and buy this one. Or we could work out some kind of swap.

The Palmgren mounts to the tool post, right? How does it compare in rigidity to the Atlas?
I know that neither of them are ideal, but is one more ridgid than the other?
Thanks,
Rick

It mounts the tool post. Logan never made their own milling attachment. They just sold the Palmgrens.

I think I got this one from a Logan lathe I boght last year. I don't think it was ever used. Very solid little guy.

I never used a milling attachment myself.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I think I'd just tell myself that it can't be done so I could then tell myself I needed to go and buy a mill!

Hmmm...

I think I'd just tell myself that it can't be done so I could then tell myself I needed to go and buy a mill!

Yes, I do need to buy a mill.
However, until one comes along, I'll have to make do with what I have, which is a Atlas milling attachment and a Logan lathe.
Thanks,
Rick W

I made an adapter for my Palmgren to fit the swivel on the Atlas. Not quite what you are wanting to do but it may give you an idea.
Pierre

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...6-Atlas-Lathe-quot-How-to-Mount-quot-Question

Thanks!
That does give me some ideas.
However, I need to make the dovetail portion to go inside the base of the milling attachment, the reverse of your solution. I had thought of doing that, and then attaching that piece to a flat plate that I could then bolt to the cross- slide of the Logan lathe.
Rick W

Well,here I am again,10 years later. I never did mount the Atlas milling attachment to my Logan 200. Instead, I sold it and bought a AXA toolpost.
However, I decided that I needed a milling attachment after all, so I bought another Atlas milling attachment.My plan now is to remove the tool post and machine a T-nut for the compound.Then I plan to make a dovetail piece that will bolt to the top of the compound, and then mount the milling attachment to the top of the compound.
I've run into a problem: what is the angle of the dovetail piece that the milling vise originally mounted to? I can't find any drewings or other info on it. If someone has one, could you please measure it and let me know?
Thanks,
Rick

I suspect it is made with a 30 degree as that dovetail bit is fairly common, hopefully someone who has one can confirm the angle.

Back