[How do I?] Adapting From 2 1/4" - 8 Tpi Spindle To 1 1/2" - 8tpi Chuck

Gary Raetz

Registered
Registered
I would appreciate any advice on how to adapt from my Logan 2 1/4" 8tpi spindle to mount a chuck with a 1 1/2" 8tpi mount.

Mount a faceplate on the spindle, mount the chuck on the face plate, Or, Bore out the chuck and re thread it.

No, the chuck is not able to be mounted on a backplate. It is a smaller wood turning chuck manufactured with no backplate and only with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 tpi mount alternatives.

You'd be better off all the way around by using a chuck that was made to fit.

you will have to make an adaptor to fit the lathe on one end, and the chuck on the other end.
It will end up being pretty tall though. Might be ok if the chuck is small enough.
Not sure how well cast iron will work, really depends on how tall the spigots are. Stress proof is probably a good alternative, it wont absorb give any vibration, but it should be ok if the chuck is small and decently balanced.

I have an 8" 3 jaw that lives on my lathe most of the time. I also have a 6" 4 jaw for when needed. My lathe is 1 1/2-8 thread. For quick jobs when I don't feel like changing the chucks I made a strait shank arbor that screws in the 4 jaw. I then chuck that in my 3 jaw. I posted a picture of that setup once and got a lot of flak. But it works quite well so I still use it when the need arises. Since it is a small chuck for wood turning that setup should work quite well for you.

Back