ADDING A DRO TO MY 6" CRAFTSMAN LATHE

I ran my 618 cross slide scale (igaging I think) inside the channel for the cross slide screw, after milling out a little clearance. End of the scale was screwed to the cross slide chip cover, read head was mounted to a bracket screwed onto the carriage. Worked ok, though it would have benefited from having the other end of the scale supported as well

I ran my 618 cross slide scale (igaging I think) inside the channel for the cross slide screw, after milling out a little clearance. End of the scale was screwed to the cross slide chip cover, read head was mounted to a bracket screwed onto the carriage. Worked ok, though it would have benefited from having the other end of the scale supported as well
Do you have any pictures of what you did?

I think I'm going to admit failure until I possibly wake up in the middle of the night with an epiphany!

View attachment 486116
Well the solution is, after careful thought, was to post my sweet running 618 lathe on Craigslist. I am now nearing the end of restoring my Crafty 12x54 lathe. Everything is cleaned, painted and worn parts replaced. Even had to buy another 42" bed in order to make it fit in my little shop. Once this 6" lathe is removed I'll start assembling it in my shop piece by piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had any action yet on the 618?

Have you decided yet as to whether you were going to shorten the existing lead screw or source a shorter one and sell the original? Unless you are relatively certain that the original 12x36 lathe spent more of its time working on long parts than it did on short ones, I am afraid that I would have to recommend shortening the existing screw. Unless you have a source for a new 12x24 screw.

You can evaluate the thread wear to a degree by measuring the existing width of the Acme thread near the headstock and near the tailstock. There would be no wear at the tailstock end as the half-nuts never quite reach that end.

No real serious replies as of yet on the Crafty 618. One guy tried to scam me with the old certified check scam. He'd send a certified check and I'm suppose to wait for the check to clear. The seller, of the 42" lathe bed, threw in the lead screw with the lathe bed. When this new lathe is all sorted out I'll try and sell the 54" bed with the lead screw.

OK. Suggest that when the new 24" bed and lead screw arrive that you evaluate the replacement lead screw for wear before you install the screw.

OK. Suggest that when the new 24" bed and lead screw arrive that you evaluate the replacement lead screw for wear before you install the screw.
I think your getting my two posts mixed up. I'm restoring a Crafty 12 X 42", on another thread, and have already received the 42" bed and lead screw about 3 weeks ago. The Crafty 6" lathe I've listed on Craigslist last week. i don't know how you can keep up with all the various updates and postings! LoL

2 things, forgive me if I am confusing multiple comments, if you are using Igage (which I like) if you are using a power adapter you'll need a small power filter and Igage doesn't like having the scale unsupported on one end and can be a bit touchy if you do not make certain the reader travels true/parallel to the scale you'll see some strange readings (Jumpy).

2 things, forgive me if I am confusing multiple comments, if you are using Igage (which I like) if you are using a power adapter you'll need a small power filter and Igage doesn't like having the scale unsupported on one end and can be a bit touchy if you do not make certain the reader travels true/parallel to the scale you'll see some strange readings (Jumpy).
See post #13. No longer a DRO issue as the lathe is now listed on Craigslist to make room for my new restoration Crafty 12x42 lathe.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-restoration-project-12-craftsman-lathe.99362/

Back