Adding a threading dial

TheArkBuilder

Registered
Registered
I have a very old 16in lathe from the 1890s that i am rebuilding. I'm wanting to add a threading dial to the apron it appears to use acme thread for the feed screw, can I use any 14.5° pressure angle spur gear or do I need to make a custom gear?

Search this group and you will find posts helping you calculate the number of teeth needed on this gear, etc.. It will depend on the pitch/lead of your lead screw. Not only do the teeth need to mesh with the lead screw, you also need to use the correct number of teeth on the gear to use the standard dial markings and rules on when to engage the half nuts at the appropriate marked location.

Here's one post I remember replying to: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/thread-dial-gear.64141/#post-531343

There are many more posts on this subject...

Ted

Search this group and you will find posts helping you calculate the number of teeth needed on this gear, etc.. It will depend on the pitch/lead of your lead screw. Not only do the teeth need to mesh with the lead screw, you also need to use the correct number of teeth on the gear to use the standard dial markings and rules on when to engage the half nuts at the appropriate marked location.

Here's one post I remember replying to: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/thread-dial-gear.64141/#post-531343

There are many more posts on this subject...

Ted
From my understanding the typical # of teeth is 4x the TPI of the feed screw.

How do I determine the diametral pitch need in realign to the tpi/pitch of the screw?
I don't really understand what you are asking here, so I'll just make some general comments and hope that it will help.

Are you going to make this indicator "gear" from scratch? If so, Machinist's Handbooks, other books, on-line calculators and resources will give you the information and calculations you need. When I made mine, I made it to resemble a worm wheel with teeth that "fit" both radially and same angle as the helix of the threads on my lead screw, which was WAY OVERKILL for what is needed. I just did it that way because I was young and playing and cut the entire wheel, teeth and all, on my 15" SB lathe.

Don't think of this as a "gear" as much as just a simple indicator driver.

Pretty much any spur gear, with the correct number of teeth, that is thin enough so the teeth fit in the helix of the thread on your lead screw will work. You can easily face off a thicker gear if needed. The gear doesn't have to "properly" mesh with the screw.... it just needs to stay engaged and not bind up to keep proper timing. It's not transferring any power; just revolving an indicator plate with markings on it.

McMaster Carr site is great for downloading drawings (PDFs and models) for gears, etc.. Look up a gear with the correct number of teeth and check the drawing to see if you think the teeth will mate fairly well. Don't worry about thickness because like I said you can face it off if needed. Verify the tooth thickness and make sure the gear tooth will fit between the threads the lead screw.

If you have a 3D printer you can print out test gears for prototype.

Good luck,
Ted

I just used an off the shelf aluminum 16T mod 1 gear for my lathe with an 8 TPI leadscrew. It was single digit dollars on eBay, meshes fine, and is compact enough to fit where I needed it to on the machine. Like others said how it meshes is not real critical as there is not really any force being transferred.

With a gear 2X your leadscrew you can put one line straight across the dial and use either end of it for every pitch.

Back