Adding An Indicator To An Adjustable Table

For whatever reason, I wasn't following you, but think I see where you're going, now. You mean a dividing head or something similar, correct? Alas, I have no such nifty tool... I understand why that would work, though, and you're right - that would have worked perfectly.

I have one of these I can give you if you cover the shipping. You can trim it and install it on your machine. Tim

8640167-23.jpg

If you need repeatable angles and I assuming the same angles over and over again. Then I would make sample/referance templates out of say aluminum sheet metal. Each template would be made with the angle needed. Simply rest the template onto the table and belt, adjust and lock. You could paint the templates different colors or mark them with the corresponding angles for ID…Good Luck, Dave.

I have one of these I can give you if you cover the shipping. You can trim it and install it on your machine. Tim

Thank you for the generous offer!

No need, though, as I think I've got to re-engineer my table plans. I might need to make a compound adjustment for it, and that might negate the ability to use ANY sort of dial. I may end up just doing it as others have mentioned, with either an angle cube or fixed templates.

Thanks again for so many great suggestions, folks. It's really helped me hash this out in my head. I'll let everyone know what I finally come up with.

Hey Matt, I'm not sure what you meant by setting repeatable angles with the "top plate". Do you mean you need to set repeatable angles with the tool rest? If so, I went through the same process and came up with this:

http://www.machinistblog.com/modifying-a-craftsman-2-x-42-inch-belt-sander-for-tool-grinding/

Might be something that could be made to work for you. The two features that a tool rest must have - it must be solid so there is no chance the rest can move in use and it must be quick and easy to set precise angles. This one does that.

Mikey, that's an excellent method for that grinder. VERY capable, and obviously well thought out!

My grinder accepts tooling arms, and one of my goals is to have this table/work rest mounted to it's own arm, to be used in conjunction with the variety of attachments I have for it, including wheels, platens, etc.

At this point, I've got to stop fooling around with designing tools and get making some knives - have to pay for all this stuff, somehow. :)

Thanks for the input - there's elements of this that I might want to take into account for my own design.

My table is made specifically to grind lathe tools, although it works fine for general grinding. For knives, no, but it does index precisely and it is very solid. If it gives you some ideas, that is great.

Good luck!

Back