Adding LED Overhead Lights to My Shop

chip_slinger

Active User
Registered
I finally upgraded the lighting in my shop, which was long overdue. I installed 10 LED troffers from CREE in a 2' x 4' size. The difference is huge! They have a nice bright light, instant start and I am very happy with them. Here is a video I put together on them and a little bit of the install.

[video=youtube_share;Xh2j2ArsKpQ]http://youtu.be/Xh2j2ArsKpQ[/video]

Thank you for the post Mike. You just can't beat good lighting in work areas. It changes the whole look of your shop. Nice job. Also, you'll appreciate it a lot more the older you get, trust me.

you'll appreciate it a lot more the older you get, trust me.

Great post. I made the mistake of letting my wife see it and now before I can do any in the shop I have to get something like that to light up her sewing machine. But on the plus side she'll be getting my new boat tarp done.

Hardly

Sounds great. Where do you buy these? I found the Cree main site with google, but all they show are regular bulbs, no 2x4 panels.

Thanks for this, I'm in the process of building my new shop and haven't put any thought to lighting. Years ago I bought a 7000k fluorescent light which made my spare room workshop look like it was being beamed up to space at night time .. I loved that bulb but ended up breaking it by twisting it out by the tube and dosing myself with an amount of mercury(or whatever is inside them) dust so didn't want risk another dose and gave up on them. LED's look like the way forward now and the prices have come down massively.

Great post. I made the mistake of letting my wife see it and now before I can do any in the shop I have to get something like that to light up her sewing machine. But on the plus side she'll be getting my new boat tarp done.

Hardly

Sounds like a win/win. Don't waist any time getting to it.

A recent hospital remodel I was in on made the switch to 2 x 4 drop in LED fixtures. They are instant on, and are dim-able. I do not know the exact cost, but I was told it was significantly more than the fluorescent fixtures they replaced. They sure are nice though, I've still got the old style 8 footers in the shop, but someday I suppose they will be NLA. I'll have to change then.

Looks like I'll have to start saving my sheckels for some new lights in the shop. Luckily, I am not yet that far in my project, and as small as my shop is four fixtures should do the trick quite nicely. I was planning on suspended ceiling, and wanted to go with LED lighting of some sort, and it starting to look like my timing might be right. Give it a little time and the prices should come down a bit I would think.

Thank you for the post Mike. You just can't beat good lighting in work areas. It changes the whole look of your shop. Nice job. Also, you'll appreciate it a lot more the older you get, trust me.
Thanks Randy. My eyes do get tired at the end of the day, so I'm hoping these will help the eye strain.

Sounds great. Where do you buy these? I found the Cree main site with google, but all they show are regular bulbs, no 2x4 panels.
Ron, here is the link to the ZR products from CREE. http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Troffers/ZR-Series. I would avoid 1000bulbs.com, which is where I got them from. Very poor customer service.

I just upgraded a few overhead fluorescent fixtures in my shop as well - I bought 3-lamp fixtures and installed phillips LED tubes. They fit a standard fluorescent tube fixture - I didn't know they were even available! Got the fixtures for $19; the bulbs are $24.95 each on sale at Home Depot. WOW! What a difference! Daylight at night in my shop. I'm very happy with them.

Back