Adding LED Overhead Lights to My Shop

The latest big yellow blob 10 watt LED sealed lamp units costing about £ 20 in the UK are fantastic for home workshop lighting .

One thing though is you need to mix the colours of warm light and white light otherwise it is a bit like working under mercury lighting and a bit of a strain on the eyes. Another big advantage is that as they are rectified AC to a very high pure DC of 40 volts working voltage , is that there are no 50 or 60 cycle ( difference in the UK & USA etc ) per second synchronisations dangers on the mains electricity , you can always see the lathe turning at these speeds .

Unlit light
garagelighting019_zpse2ec76d5.jpg

Lathe lit with just the LED 10 watt flood
garagelighting023_zps3302acff.jpg

Lathe lit with LED flood and two four foot 30 watt over head fluorescent light tubes
garagelighting022_zpsced93f06.jpg

garagelighting019_zpse2ec76d5.jpg

garagelighting023_zps3302acff.jpg

garagelighting022_zpsced93f06.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
Great job you will really enjoy the extra light.

I was faced with the same thing earlier in the year, I saw a Seven Eleven Store that had just updated to LED's and the light was great. I wanted to do the same for my shop but just couldn't justify the extra cost of the LEDs, the 2x2 troffers were north of $200 each. As you say the pay back is a long time but the costs will continue to fall as more folks get into the game. I even experimented with making my own troffer from some high power Cree emitters. The prototype worked great and would have done fine but the cost was still too high for my budget.

I really wanted the LED's but it just couldn't make it pencil out and I ended up doing a T8 retrofit to my existing six T12 8' fixtures. New electronic high output ballasts coupled with good 4100K 900 series phosphor tubes did the trick for about $300. (not home center stuff). The retrofit doubled the light output and the 4100K tubes provide a nice bright white light.

Down side: they are not LED's

Craig

Mike,
Great job you will really enjoy the extra light.

I was faced with the same thing earlier in the year, I saw a Seven Eleven Store that had just updated to LED's and the light was great. I wanted to do the same for my shop but just couldn't justify the extra cost of the LEDs, the 2x2 troffers were north of $200 each. As you say the pay back is a long time but the costs will continue to fall as more folks get into the game. I even experimented with making my own troffer from some high power Cree emitters. The prototype worked great and would have done fine but the cost was still too high for my budget.

I really wanted the LED's but it just couldn't make it pencil out and I ended up doing a T8 retrofit to my existing six T12 8' fixtures. New electronic high output ballasts coupled with good 4100K 900 series phosphor tubes did the trick for about $300. (not home center stuff). The retrofit doubled the light output and the 4100K tubes provide a nice bright white light.

Down side: they are not LED's

Craig
Thanks Craig. These LEDs aren't for everybody, but they worked for me. It looks like you got the light you needed with your solution as well.

My shop originally had T-12 fluorescent 4' bulbs with a standard ballast. I then got a T-8s with electronic ballast. End up replacing all the fixtures. No flicker, quick start-up, better overall light. I rebuilt and adapted an old table saw bench for the mill. Added two goose-neck LED lights. Set up a master switch. So when I flip that switch on, lights turn on and there is power to the mill. The plug for the mill is at a convenient place for upplugging if need be, yet the lights are still on. It is so nice to be able to easily read the dials and see what the machine is doing. The lathe will be next.
Mark

Where can I go to get educated about the higher output 4' tubes? I have two varieties of 4' fixtures in my shop (thanks to the keen eye of my wife and craigslist), one type has 2-bulbs and a mirrored reflector; the other a 4-bulb recessed type with white reflectors. They definitely beat the original 4 single-bulb "shop light" setup that existed when we bought the place but even now, with 16 light fixtures I am wanting a brighter environment.
More tools, more toys, more need for good visibility!
I have wondered if my current ballasts (no pun intended) would support a high-output tube, but I don't know where to find the answer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dale, I'm not sure if your ballasts will support HO bulbs or not. You could google your ballast part numbers and look for the spec sheet, or google your fixture part numbers and see if anything shows up. On a different forum I frequent (garagejournal.com), there are always lots of lively discussion on shop lighting. How much of it is productive, I'm not sure...

Where can I go to get educated about the higher output 4' tubes? I have two varieties of 4' fixtures in my shop (thanks to the keen eye of my wife and craigslist), one type has 2-bulbs and a mirrored reflector; the other a 4-bulb recessed type with white reflectors. They definitely beat the original 4 single-bulb "shop light" setup that existed when we bought the place but even now, with 16 light fixtures I am wanting a brighter environment.
I have wondered if my current ballasts (no pun intended) would support a high-output tube, but I don't know where to find the answer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dale -

no they will not,. not only that the sockets for 48" 44 watt T8 HO use a R17D ( recessed double contact ) base and not the standard G13 bi pin base found on 32 watt T8 lamps , Phillips does list an 84 watt 48" T8 VHO in G13 bi pin in their catalog, but are designed for highbay applications and run with a special ballast wired for 277 or 480 volts.

- Al

Back