Adding Powerfeed to Seig SX3 X axis Only

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got my SX3 this past saturday from the Grizzly Muncy Pa warehouse.... It was perfectly packed and a yoy to have..but... I really would like to motorize the z axis... there doesnt appear to be any unit made that would bolt right on....I am a beginning chip maker so I can't engineer a motor and gears without possibly destroying the machine so I'm looking for a "Bolt on solution" at least a "Very close bolt up solution" Any body done it ? or know anyone who has ???
Thanks
Joe

Z axis or X axis?

For X axis there's Grizzly H8178 Table Power Feed.

I haven't seen anything for Z axis yet. Look around on CNCZone.com. Heck, search the whole net. There are a lot of sites dedicated to home/hobby machining. There's always somebody up to something.

If you're ultimate intentions are to CNC, maybe now's the time to start with the Z. :)

For starters, I plan on sticking with the manual Z assisted by a counterweight and over head pullies...

rrr

Joe, if you're on a budget, you might want to buy accessory tooling like a good vise or a rotary table rather than power table feed. The hand has a better sense of tactile feed-back than does an electric motor.
After more than 40 years, I've noticed that most "crashes" occur when faulty or loose set-up or power feed is in use.

Hi I think you may find these photos interesting
The convertion was done by milling a hex on the end of the feed screws to fit a bi hex socket.
The socket is kept centeralised by a 4mm pilot when disengaged.
The motor (12v wiper motor) sits on a pin to allow freedom of alignment and has an arm to take the torque load.
The assembly is lifted into engagement by a bar and is locked by the handle at the side of the bench.
A variable power feed controlls the speed and also switches between the motors
It works wel, Being able to drop the motors out of gear to use the hand wheels is a great help.
Last photo is for you a C of A I did about 25 years ago.

Regards BRIAN.

P1010845.JPG P1010827.JPG P1010829.JPG P1010830.JPG P1010823.JPG P1010843.JPG P1010842.JPG SAVE0072.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Windscreen wiper motor it has a built in gear box plenty of power.
regards BRIAN.

A chip is good fun even if the cockpit canopy takes away that wind in your hair( not that I have a lot left)
this tiger moth was a fun bird to work on i really miss aeroplanes.

Back