• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Adding steppers to LC-30 mill: direct or belt drive?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

slow-poke

As the title states, the steppers are 900 oz-in, speed is not a primary concern, having enough torque is my main concern. I also think it might be easier to implement with a short clogged belt with the motors just to the side of the hand cranks. I would imagine I can get a 2:1 (or better) increase in torque with a belt system.

If anyone has implemented CNC on a Long Chang mill I would really like to see how the conversion was done?

Eddyde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have a Mill made by Long Chang, it was marketed as RB-1 (LC 50) by a Swiss company Siber Hegner. They were also sold under the brand name "First". I am currently working to CNC it, albeit slowly... I went with servos, 1125 oz in. I haven't mounted them yet but they seem plenty strong for the task, I had researched the motor needed for CNC-ing a Bridgeport and that size was the upper range what was suggested. What are the specs of your mill, Do you have any pictures?
Here's a link to when I got my mill for reference: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-siber-hegner-rb-1-milling-machine.37875/

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I would use direct drive. Any additional components added to a drive train add backlash and/or lost motion.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My Tormach 770 has 500 oz-in steppers and more than enough torque to do serious damage in a crash. If you feel you need mechanical advantage, on way would be to use a lower pitch lead/ball screw. The 770 ball screw has a 4mm pitch.

Eddyde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Picture of my smaller, cheaper, older LC-30 Mill
Looks like a nice mill, I know Long Chang make quality machines. I agree with RJ, your steppers should be plenty powerful even in direct drive, However, you may want to do a pulley timing belt arrangement to get the motor(s) out of the way, I don't think you'll add much if any backlash.

slow-poke

Looks like a nice mill, I know Long Chang make quality machines. I agree with RJ, your steppers should be plenty powerful even in direct drive, However, you may want to do a pulley timing belt arrangement to get the motor(s) out of the way, I don't think you'll add much if any backlash.
That's what I was thinking, also a belt arrangement is more forgiving for slight errors in alignment. Apparently UPS has lost my package (steppers), so when they do finally arrive, I will size up how I will mount them. Fun project!

[6]
[5] [7]