Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What makes for an adequate hobbyist Drill Press to add to a LMS Mini Mill and Mini Lathe? I’ll start with a budget example from Harbor Freight, on clearance for $209. Where would the machine be limiting or inadequate? I have no particular aspirations in mind - just making tooling and fixtures, small engine models, etc. I’d like to buy “adequate” first and upgrade if needed, but not regret a bad purchase.

IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg

My first DP was a HFT the same model but the benchtop version. It served me well for 30yrs. Lots of DP’s of supposedly higher quality don’t have features like cast iron table that rotates and tilts like the HFT. Many don’t have the rack and pinion height adjust like this HFT. My reasons for upgrading was I needed a bigger table, more Z(mine was the benchtop). I got what is really close to my dream DP. But its slowest speed is 450rpm( HFT 220 which was what mine was set at the whole time I had it) and the head sags from the radial arm unlike the HFT. Moral of the story, if you’re not stuck on “made in USA” and that DP was done right it should last you forever. YMMV.

The trouble with belt drive drill presses is they spin too fast , even if it has a 3 pully setup. Looking at the chart above the slowest speed on that drill is 220 rpm. I can't readily find a speed chart for you but to me that seems a bit fast for a 1/2" bit in mild steel.

I would take a close look at it if you have a HF store nearby. Look for things like fit and smooth operation. The speeds should be fine for drilling up to 5/8” holes in mild steel. If it looks and feels good you won’t be able to find much better for the price. The only caveat is that if it ever needs parts they may be hard to come by.

I have a cheapie similar size bench model I originally purchased in 1978. I still use it on a daily basis with no problems. In all the years I’ve had it the only thing it’s needed is a new chuck

I also have a larger 21” Jet JDP 125VS. It’s a infinitely variable speed floor model (60-2000 rpm with 2 speed motor) that gets used less frequently. This one is capable of drilling 1 1/4” holes in mild steel

Last edited:
My take on drill presses. Drill presses are not precision machines. They get used and abused. IMHO any one them will work just fine. Nice to have features are a table that can be tilted and a table that can be raised or lowered with a crank. You have a mini mill for precision drilling.

Lots of drill presses on Craigslist all the way from free to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Spend a month or so looking at various drill presses and then buy the one you like the best.

I have a cheap ass HF drill press and get along just fine with it. It's set on the lowest speed, which I use for everything. Moving the table is an exercise in wobble, but it doesn't matter once the table is locked down.

One thing you want to check is the tram of the table if not adjustable. Even new one of the same model can very by a lot.

I have a bench mount version of that by a generic make , it's been very reliable (is a second hand to me drill also) and the quill throw is a step up from a lot of the cheep end of the generic drill press range.

Occasionally it would be nice if the throat was larger but then it would need to be a whole size up I guess.

Stu

I have a late 90s Craftsman 1/2 hp that is pretty junky. Sloppy quill, the belt slips and the motor bogs if it doesn't slip with 3/8"+ drills. I'd make sure the reviews are really good re:metalwork because most of the cheap ones are probably aimed at woodwork.

Don't over think it, if it fits your needs and price buy it you won't be sorry. I've had an inexpensive bench top for 30 years and it still drills holes just fine I think I did change out the chuck at one time but not sure.

Back