Adjust Dial Test Indicator

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
This is a really basic question. It has been 20 years since I have used a dial test indicator. I recently purchased one and it came with the contact sensor angled back toward the instrument body. I would like to reposition it about 130 to to align with the body. Is the sensor attached via a clutch mechanism and can it be simply carefully adjusted to the desired position? This will clearly 'force' the indicator to the maximum while it is being reposition.
Thanks, Dan

If you are talking about something like this then the answer is yes. Just move it slowly so you don't jam the needle too hard against the stop.
DTI.jpgDTI.jpg

I'm not sure where to find the previous post, but it was discussed, and could be manually re positioned, It worked for mine...

There you go.

There should be a torx screw on the back of the housing that is connected to a helical gear which drives a worm gear to move the stylus. Sometimes the screw is very tight if it hasn't been moved in a while.

J/K of course. As the other said, it just a held in place by friction. No screws or nuts to loosen. Simply move by hand. Yes it will max out the travel of the indicator when moving.

We need more information about the brand and model number. Some DTI's like the Starrett Last word have interchangeable contact points. There's a little lever that holds the contact in place the lever can be moved to the side and the contact can be lifted slightly and repositioned.

Here's a link to a Starrett 711. Note the retaining lever at the top of the contact point:

If I recall correctly Interapid has a screw on the side that has to be loosened. Then the point can be repositioned.

On the B&S indicators it's just a matter of moving the point to a different position with your finger.

Back