Advice: Best surface finish for brass bearings

Madhattan

Registered
Registered
My daughter and I are machining the parts for the Metal Lathe Accessories Die Filer from a casting kit MLA-18. There are several holes that are created for brass bearings that I hope to press fit later. We used the boring bar for the first time ever today and the surface finish is a nice neat spiral. When we stopped today, we were at 1.190in. of the final hole diameter of 1.250 in.

So my question is: When I am press fitting in a brass bearing into a 1.250 in. cast iron hole should the surface finish be polished, machined smooth, or is the grooved boring bar finish the goal?

Machined smooth would be best; I hope you used bronze, not brass, which is not a good bearing material. Your link did not bring up the filer, but some college info page.

Sorry my link was bad, yes that is the Die Filer Machine we are building. So my feed rate is too fast... I'll go fix that tomorrow first thing.

If you are boring a 1.250'' hole for a press fit may I ask what the o.d. of the bushing is?
I ask because of a similar job I have going where an oilite bushing o.d. has to be turned down for a press fit in an existing hole.
The hole is too deep and the metal too hard for me to bore it out to fit the bushing. Thanks.

I'm sure someone had a build series on this filer hear before ? might be worth a search :)

Back