Advice For New Basement Shop Lathe

Jud, These are very nice machines, My friend has one and has done tons of barrels on it and has had no issues with it.

...snip... or as was done above add a 4x4 post to every step or even every other step. but all of those posts makes the space under the steps less usable for storage. ...snip...
Bracing of the stair jacks is definitely needed, but I think 4x4s every other step may be overkill. I braced the stair jacks much less, as shown below, with just three angled supports for the jacks. If the machine were a lot heavier, I would use more bracking... Notice the labeling, which was done for the move-in, so I could replicate it for the move-out.

Attachments

• Stair_Bracing_1.jpg
    Stair_Bracing_1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Stair_Bracing_2.jpg
    Stair_Bracing_2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Stair_Bracing_3.jpg
    Stair_Bracing_3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Stair_Bracing_4.jpg
    Stair_Bracing_4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Stair_Bracing_5.jpg
    Stair_Bracing_5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 13
If you are planning to put the barrel thru the spindle with a spider make sure that the spindle on whatever you are looking at will accept the biggest barrel that you will ever see. Some lathes have a fairly small spindle bore.

After much consideration and research, I've decided to fix my current lathe and save up for a couple years and get something nice.
So you currently have an 11” Rockwell? Have you started a thread on the repair you need to make? I’m considering a 10” Rockwell myself. I’ve had an Atlas for a few years, and I’ve finally decided I need more bed length.

Anyways, some of us like to read about lathe repair as well. I’d be interested to hear about what you’re up to with the Rockwell.

When we built our current house we planned for the shop in the basement. The stairs have 3, 2 x 12 stringers. The treads are 2 x10s. They have a 4 x 4 under each stringer every other stair. The area also doubles as a lumber storage area with several shelves attached to the vertical braces.

The stairs easily accommodated the mill column (1000 lbs.), 4 men @ 220 lbs. each (880 lbs.), and a stair climber dolly (160 lbs.). The total load on the stairs was appx. 2260 lbs.

Back