Advice on Indexable Dovetail Cutters

poorboy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,

As the title suggests - I am looking for advice on purchasing a 60 degree indexable dovetail cutter for my PM935. Any suggestions ? Also need some suggestions for speeds and feeds for the cutter.

Thanks

Adam

Thank you David. Can you let me know if having more than one insert on an indexable cutter like this makes a difference ? If so - what ?

Thank you David. Can you let me know if having more than one insert on an indexable cutter like this makes a difference ? If so - what ?
Faster material removal rates and required diameter of the cutter to support more than one insert. I have a 3-insert 45-degree indexable cutter for chamfering and the only difference I see between it an Randy’s single-insert cutter is how quickly you can remove material for any given depth of cut. The biggest differences are related to the specific insert you select and how that’s matched to the material. An insert graded for steel will not produce great results on aluminum for instance. Your haven’t said what your mill is or the dimensions on the dovetails you intend to cut, but if you’re after a small dovetail cutter, this used Dorian could be a nice choice if it has the dimensions you’re after. It’s also available on several sites new for about $115.

My mill is a PM935TS and I am looking to cut some ~1.5 inch wide dovetails in 1018 steel as well as 6061 aluminum

The cutter I use most made by Randy takes a TPGB321 type insert. It's great on steel and cast iron, but has no chip breaker. For aluminum, it would be better fitted with a TPGC321 type insert that has a precision ground chip breaker and a sharper cutting edge. Some details are at the following link.

David, thank you for your advice.

poorboy, I have found indexable cutters to be good for material removal and to save your HSS cutters from wear but a HSS Dovetail cutters will give a superior finish, especially if your going for a tight sliding fit like a way. If your just making your own stationary dove tail AXA/BXA toolpost holders or something similar, its probably immaterial.

Back