Advice sourcing Mineral Way Oil ISO Grade 150 for my lathe

Madhattan

Registered
Registered
My Emco MAXIMAT v13 manual calls for Mobil Vactra #3 Mineral Way Oil ISO Grade 150, SAE Grade 15. I can't source any of the alternate lubricants listed in the manual and I can only purchase Mobil Vactra #3 in 5 gallon containers $200.00 US. From my searching most US oil companies like Chevron only produce ISO68 and ISO220 Way Oil. Casterol (BP) makes a ISO150 LubCon Gear Oil for gears and bearings but I don't know if that is a suitable substitute, "solvent-refined base oils equipped with anti-wear & extreme pressure sulfur-phosphorus compounds". I haven't found a source for the Casterol LubCon Gear Oil yet anyway.

I do not want to ruin my machine!

I seek advice. Shall I purchase the 5 gallon container of $200US Mobil Vactra #3 or keep looking. How much oil will my MAXIMAT use in a year of hobby use (a few times a week). Are there suppliers out there who would sell me just a gallon?

Thanks!

I would use Vactra #2 way oil, typically #3 and #4 are for heavier machines and vertical surfaces. You will find that most lathes in this size category use #2. It will not ruin you machine.

I split a five gallon bucket with another hobbyist here in town. He had posted it on CL and I replied.
You might check around in your area

Mobil Vaculine is superior to Vactra IMO.

I have used Shell Tonna 68 on all my lathes for 40 years. It serves well and lasts a long time. 58.00 CAD for 5 gallons here. It will serve you well. If you have an unheated shop, Tonna 32 will work better in winter. ISO 150 is way too thick for your lathe not matter what your manual says. Instead of lubricating, your carriage will float on the oil leading to inaccuracies - that is, if you can keep it on your ways. it would be so thick your wipers will just wipe it all off.

I'd only use ISO 150 that on a 30" lathe with a1,000 lb carriage.

-- remember, lubricants have come a very long way in the last 50 years.

You've got some big oil jobbers where you are located. Go to one of the jobbers- Texaco, Mobil, Exxon, etc. and tell them what you want. Take a copy of the specs with you. Don't go to a gas station, go to the jobber's warehouse/bulk plant. They have a large catalogue to look oils up and will get exactly what you want.

Plus to what vacatexas says. I took a list of lub. specs to my Chevron supplier and they were able to cross reference what I needed. It was still five gallons worth through. I figure I will eventually use it all. Lub. Is always cheaper than new parts.

I'm with the guys saying Vactra #2, it's available on Amazon by the gallon if that's what you want.

I wish people were closer, I have about 20 gallons of Vactra 2 in the basement, BYOB, be more than glad to help someone out

Back