Advise On Removing A Removing Broken Tap.

Jay-z

Active User
Registered
Well, like the title says I could use some advise to help me remove a broken 6-32 tap from a tool holder project. Not enough of it sticking out to grab a hold of and twist it out. I know I can't drill it out. Really don't want to start the project over just because of this minor mishap. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated .

Jay

No advice on getting it out. But on the next one use this chart and opt for less strength and you will break less taps.
You will lose very little holding power by going for 60-65%

Drill Chart001.jpg

Once I'm able to get the silly thing out that thought had crossed my mind . Thanks for the chart.

Jay

EDM shop,takes a few minutes,small payment but less aggravation.

Get you three or four solid carbide four flute center cutting end mills. Chuck up on one in a collet, line up with the hole with the broken tap. Run it at 2000 RPM if you can get up to that speed. Apply your favorite cutting oil and gently peck at the tap until you get it all removed. It helps if you can grind the tap flush with the part. I removed a 5-44 tap a while back using this method.

While all of those will work-and I sell a LOT of Wilton tap extractors from the tool truck and I'm amazed at how well they are rumored to work, my suggestion is to wrap a shop towel around the tap and use an automatic center punch to try to drive it back out from whence it came.

The shop towel wrapped around it will prevent you from having a piece of an 8X1.25 tap stuck in your chest like I have. Every once in awhile, it moves and causes excruciating-but it's better than risking the surgery required to remove it and as it was high speed steel, the risk to me is minimal at worst. When it happened, I learned just how profusely what one might think was a minor chest wound will bleed.

The tap being as hard as it is will mean it is very brittle and it should shatter eventually from the center punch repeatedly banging away at it.

What material is it stuck in? How deep? and how many flutes does it have ? is it a through hole?

In addition to the suggestions above:

Might be time to build yourself a mini EDM (spark eroder) broken tap remover. It's been on my list for awhile. There are a couple of threads in H-M addressing this.

I have removed a lot of taps with a carbide burr and a Dremel.

Another way is to remove the material around the tap by drilling a series of small holes, then just make a threaded plug to replace the material. Then redrill and tap again.

A Heli-Coil or other thread insert might be your friend here.

Depending on the base material (your part) there can be chemical removal of broken taps. Alum for an aluminum part for one, a commercial preparation called Tap-Out for some other materials, but not all. Patience is required for all chemical means I have used. They take time.

Or, if you want to try drilling it out, either a C-C EM as Ken suggested, or a home-made alternative. Grind the blank end of a carbide end mill sized to get the core of the tap cleared to a 3 or 4 sided pyramid, with the point closely centered. Can be easily and cheaply done. I never toss my small carbide end mills/drills just in case, but naturally since I have, I haven't broken a tap lately.

Back