After Two Years And A Couple Of Miscues...

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I think I finally have a shop that will keep me smiling until I retire and move to (hopefully) a more permanent domicile. :)

Two years ago I decided I wanted to get back into hobby machining on a small scale, so I bought a LMS mini-mill and a Micro-Mark 7x16. Then I think I found this web site...

Then I decided I wanted to get back into pistol smithing, but these machines were not going to be big enough to do some types of 1911 work. So, I bought my PM-25 and the SB 8x18. Perfect. Then I decided I needed the capability to do long gun work. Enter the CO 12Z and the PM-1340GT. Sigh...

These machines are more than capable of doing anything I want at the hobby level. The only change I 'might' make is after the move I could see myself maybe getting a small knee mill like the PM-935. Maybe. We'll see how El Hefe holds up over the next 4-5 years. And I am thinking of adding TIG capability for the pistol/rifle work, but will have to think on this some more as I've only done stick/brazing/gas cutting in a body shop a LONG time ago.

Some pics:

This is what I see when I step into the garage...er...shop. :)

DSCN4338.jpg

The lathes and band saw (I WILL be upgrading the 4x6 so something a bit bigger).

DSCN4339.jpg

The mills.

DSCN4340.jpg

Hand work station.

DSCN4341.jpg

And my misc. work bench and my golf club building bench.

DSCN4342.jpg

It may not be the greatest little workshop to some, but it's mine. :)

Hay that looks great, Cut in half and fill with everything from Horse tack and saddles to Auto shop work. then try and squeeze in a mni min and mini lathe. and my wood working tools. Yours looks like heaven to me, even if you do have a car in it. I have to get me a nice shop with AC.

The Boss doesn't want to park outside, and I really don't want the Camaro out their either. So I get the small(er) side of the garage. Not sure I'd know what to do with all 700 sq/ft, but I could probably think of something. ;)

It looks like a very comfortable workspace!

I envy your tall ceiling Bill and you have the shop organized well for the limited space. One observation though I see too many fire hazards, curtains, cardboard boxes, open insulation, liquid containers on an open shelf. Just saying buddy.

That is a big beautiful space.....and well organized.

Not sure I'd know what to do with all 700 sq/ft, but I could probably think of something.

I am certain that given the chance, you could fill it.
I know I could and would very much enjoy the challenge!

-brino

I'm sure all of us could find a way to fill extra space. That would give room to purchase a couple of new machines, work on projects, put in a welding stall, all kinds of things. I know I would love to try and fill that much space. But you have to keep the other half happy or your peace our hobbies could suffer.

Think you have a really nice shop, if I could get rid of woodworking tools mine could be nice too. I have way to many tools in to small a shop. I've tried selling on Craigslist even at cheap prices nobody wants anything. Even tried giving some away but still have them. Oh well . Nice shop and have fun using it.

It looks great to me but there is just to much free space. Look for a shaper and surface grinder to help that. :drool:
Dave

It looks great to me but there is just to much free space. Look for a shaper and surface grinder to help that. :drool:
Dave

Not sure what I'd use a shaper for, but I'd love to find a surface grinder in decent shape. That I would know what to do with. :)

Back