Air tool oil

Airline or sewing machine oil , whichever is handy at work . Didn't matter much , until they fixed the dryers in the plant my air tools passed tons of water thru them from the plant air . I removed them all and took them home .

I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but,,,,, I've been a mechanic for 40+ years and have air tools that are 40 years old. I haven't oiled any of them for over 30 years now. They still run just fine. I quit using oil when an orbital sander caused me a ton of extra work on a paint job due to oil. Our paint shop at work wouldn't think of oil in a sander. They would probably fire anyone that did. So, long story short and my point is, I wouldn't worry about finding any magic oil for air tools. If you want oil just get some air tool oil and go with it. Harbor Freight, Amazon etc.

You can overdo. I have a bad habit of lubing things every time I use them. My air impact gets used maybe an hour a few times a year. It finally locked up. I took it apart and it had so much oil in the rotor (air tool oil) it would not operate. cleaned it, put it back together and it is still running.

. I removed them all and took them home .
The dryers or your tools?

When we have water issues on the line we flush the guns out with WD40 , literally have it soaking a rag and run them until clear.

Then they would get the proper oil and go back into service.

That was really the only time they got anything at all, and these guns would shoot a couple thousand screws a day.

To be fair they were wrist breakers when new and took years until they wouldn’t shoot a screw and need rebuild.

Now we have electric guns which are nice, but any deformity in the screws and they will not seat the screw.

Back