Air tool oil

It's one of those types of things that @Batmanacw illustrates with his first order retrievability philosophy. Tool, oil, air, go.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from OCD, yet such refinement appeals to me.

It's one of those types of things that @Batmanacw illustrates with his first order retrievability philosophy. Tool, oil, air, go.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from OCD, yet such refinement appeals to me.
Oh yea, blame it on @Batmanacw ... sure, there you go. :laughing:
I keep a bottle of oil in the garage, and 2 in the basement with needle tips to control the amount of oil. it takes 2 seconds, and I don't need to spend a lot of money or wall space (which I am seriously lacking) for an oiler.

If I were a commercial shop, it might be worthwhile. But then I think an FRP for those tools would work fine. A separate line for tools that shouldn't have oil. I just don't see the need for that in a hobbyists shop. But that's your call... I'd rather spend my money on real needs. And not chasing stuff like that.

I suppose. The air ratchet and light duty air impact have both been replaced by Bosch lithium tools. Once in a while I run a needle scaler or air hammer. The die grinder is now a Makita electric. I use an angle grinder for cutoff wheels instead of air. Even my orbital DA body sanding is now Makita electric. I do 95% of my cleaning with a vacuum, so I don't even blow air anymore. Maybe I don't need a special tool to oil air tools after all. But ain't you fascinated by ideas, man?

My employer sells pneumatic orbital sanders. We recommend a very light mineral oil designed to avoid gumming up. I honestly don't know the weight.

I suppose. The air ratchet and light duty air impact have both been replaced by Bosch lithium tools. Once in a while I run a needle scaler or air hammer. The die grinder is now a Makita electric. I use an angle grinder for cutoff wheels instead of air. Even my orbital DA body sanding is now Makita electric. I do 95% of my cleaning with a vacuum, so I don't even blow air anymore. Maybe I don't need a special tool to oil air tools after all. But ain't you fascinated by ideas, man?
No... I thought you were a smart person.
But it's not smart to throw money at every tool that comes along. At Christmas time there are all these useless do everything tools. Buying into that mindset is not healthy.

I remember a few times getting caught in the woodworking tool buying craze. Thinking, they wouldn't make that tool unless it worked, and saved time... Then that bubble over my head got popped and I came back to reality. There's a sucker born everyday, and many people who are looking to make money off your gullibility.

So keep that needle handy to pop that bubble if it gets above your head. Also remember in third world countries people do amazing things with practically no fancy tools. Some of it faster and better than people in well equipped shops. It's your mind, and skills to overcome that make you a craftsman, not your tools.

I use mineral oil, thinned out a bit with Marvel Mystery Oil.

I put very little time on my air tools, I bought a pint of air tool oil decads ago and it is still half full. I oil once a day when using the tools. I have also used 3 in 1 oil in a pinch. I have never in my life had to replace an air tool. The amout you save by trying to find a substitute oil is way less than than the cost of any one tool. Use the oil made for the job.

Light or medium Mineral Oil works. However, the store bought oil is inexpensive and usually comes in a dropper tip, dispenser bottle, so I just buy it that way.

been turning wrenches 50 years or so. always used atf. no issues until i got an air fence stapler. atf ate up some chinese seals

Back