Albrecht Chuck droping drill bit

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I have a Albrecht 1/2 inch keyless chuck that opens and drops that drill bit when I Turn the quill on
The chuck is couple of years old but this is the first time I used it. Anyone know of a company that fix it? Bought it from Emco or MSC.
Thanks
Howardd

Are you turning the spindle backwards? They don't hold well when turning counterclockwise (as looking down from the top). If you seat the drill bit in the chuck until it hits bottom, it might be possible that it is not tightening all the way. Try pulling the drill bit down about 1/32 or so off the bottom and tighten.

I have several Albrecht chucks and have never seen this happen, except when power tapping and switching into reverse.

Howard, did you ever shoot some lubricant inside the chuck? If so, that is probably the reason the chuck won't properly. These chucks are simple to work on and you can do it yourself.

Hold the upper knurled sleeve and tighten the lower sleeve as snug as you can, see if it makes a difference.

Sounds like the spindle threads have been contaminated with oil. The threads must be dry. Just take it apart and clean it. Mikey has a great blog post showing the procedure. Just bore a couple of aluminum clamps. Having a good vise is also key. Good luck.

Tom Lipton is Oxtools on youtube. He has a great Albrecht refurb video. A must watch with many dos and a few donts.

I tried to watch the videos but they were pretty long. I skipped to the assembly part and he chose to use grease on the spindle threads, which Albrecht definitely recommends against. In my experience, grease or oil on these threads will cause the chuck to loosen when it encounters the cutting forces when drilling and the drill will slip in use.

My suggestion is not to do as this guy recommends. Keep the spindle threads clean and dry - NO GREASE.

Agree - both on where they chose to apply grease and on the length of the videos!

They actually spend a lot of time discussing the short and somewhat ambiguous instructions from Albrecht against their examination of an identical NOS chuck. They claim to have found more lubrication in the NOS chuck than Albrecht recommends so that's what they ended up doing. They were very upfront that they were not following Albrecht's instructions - just following their practice as they saw it.

I followed your instructions, Mikey, and my chuck works great. Not applying grease to the spindle threads seems to be one of the clearest statements in Albrecht's directions.

Back