All Steel Quick Change Tool Post

rfresh747

Registered
Registered
I bought the all steel QCTP (Quick Change Tool Post) from LittleMachineShop.com $135.00.

It works fine. I was a little surprised that it has a smaller "foot print" than the factory tool post. See attachment.

For our mini-lathes, this is the OXA size tool post. The next larger size up is the AXA (175.00) and while I suspect the "foot print" on that one is at least as large as the factory tool post, it won't fit correctly on the existing compound rest bottom. To go with the AXA size, you have to also purchase (from LittleMachineShop) their modified compound rest bottom (35.00). All in all, to go with the AXA size QCTP you're looking at spending $75.00 more over the OXA.

I decided not to go with the AXA size for two reasons:

1. My mini-lathe is a HF 7x12 with a brush type motor. Brush-less motors have a lot more torque and power. As a result, I don't think I'll be doing any work that will be pushing my lathe to it's maximum performance limits.

2. I also have a standard 3 inch chuck and don't have any plans to buy a larger one. So, again, I don't think I'll be turning any really large material that warrants a larger chuck, a brush-less higher torque motor or a larger AXA size QCTP, which would provide more mass and rigidity.

So, in the end, the OXA size QCTP works for my setup.

2018-02-16_205206.png

I have that OXA size QCTP on my mini lathe LMS 5200 and it is in my opinion the perfect size for a mini lathe , I made 6 tool holders for it myself and made the dovetail a few thou smaller , not that the oem holders were not clamping tight enough but the ones I made have less slop and tighten up 1/3rd faster than the original ones, overall I don't see a need to go a size up.

I went axa first. its ridiculously too big. I then went with oxa and it is definitely the perfect size, no question. This is my experience with the little Grizzly 8688. good luck

How does the OXA behave when parting off material? In my experience that's the operation that will put the most stress on your holder (and on you, too :).

I made an inverted tool holder for the parting off blade(many thanks to Mikey for the suggestion and help) , reverse the rotation of the lathe .
Less stress on the holder.

Back