Aloris holders don't fit import AXA-style QCTP

Is the seller reputable? Could be you received counterfeit goods. Check what you have compared to what is on the Aloris website. Look at the logo, everything. Check the other dimensions are within the tolerances.

No, the outer face is the mating face. I’ll work up some figures in the AM.
Oops; I goofed, I guess. At least on my clone AXA set, the outer face and the slanted
dovetail face ARE the contact-on-clamp surfaces, and the distal tool-parallel dovetail face has
about 0.030" clearance, according to my feeler gages. I'm gonna want to monitor those
surfaces for dings, so it is rather important which are doing the work.

The distal tool-parallel dovetail face does affect the dowel-pin measure for inside the
toolholder, so that measure may be noncritical.Slide1.jpg

Last edited:
We discussed this in a lot of detail on another forum. It seems that some of the AXA tool posts and theor tool holder counterparts are being made under spec. One guy sent his back and got another random replacement, and it was just fine. Same brand, same shipment.

We've concluded that if it won't fit a real Aloris, then it has to go back, and the wider offshore holders will just have to clock differently.

My real aloris BXA wedge, my offshore BXA wedge and my BXA piston all measure within .001, so I got very, very lucky. All of my holders except 2 all measure within 1.5 thou, but 2 of them are .005 oversize in the dovetail. They still work just fine everywhere.

The distal tool-parallel dovetail face does affect the dowel-pin measure for inside the
toolholder, so that measure may be noncritical.
It sounds like you've got it figured out. The only thing I'll add is that although that measurement isn't directly what determines the fit, it is still useful. You just have to do some math to obtain a width that you can compare to the toolpost. (or hop in CAD and let the computer do the math ;))

Back